Cut A Wedding Cake???

Decorating By Godiva Updated 5 Mar 2005 , 3:49am by kate

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 2

Hey everyone...
I have a wedding cake due this Saturday, for which I'm currently preparing...Everything is in place, planned, scetched and practiced. 6, 9, 12 and 14" cakes, and maybe a side 9x13 cake for about 135.

The problem??? The groom, who is my husbands employee and is getting a free wedding cake, just informed me that there is a change in the location site and that it will no longer be a catered event!
My problem? WHO WILL CUT THE CAKE NOW???

From the very beginning I told him to find someone to cut the cake, because I was not going to...I'm a guest once the event begins...not getting my dress ruined, and will not deal with people rushing to get a slice, if you know what I'm talking about.
My concern, if someone does not know how to do it, there will not be enough cake for everyone...
I've only cut one, and that was my mother in-laws cake...That was fine because not everyone showed up...

But if I were to do it for this one, any easy way to do it?? I've seen some cutting charts, but guess I need to hear from the experts here.
Please help! icon_cry.gif

1 reply
kate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 3:49am
post #2 of 2

I've done cakes for friends and we always have big weddings, I always end up cutting the cake. Usually I make them bigger than we actually need so I don't worry too much about the size of the pieces. I like to slice across the end of a tier and then cut slices from that. When you have to worry about getting enough slices out of it it's probably better to cut according to the chart. Most decorators cut a circle in about two inches and then cut slices from that and keep working in to the middle. I like cutting the cake myself when it's for all of our friends. Some of the friends that I've known for years have eaten my mom's cakes and mine too and the guys come back for seconds and thirds. Don't worry too much, nobody has ever gotten critical with how I cut cakes. Just be careful of who you ask to help. A couple of my friends like to help but they also love to smear icing on each other. It's fun but I'm always afraid some of the older ones will be offended and then we'll be in trouble. Bad associations, ya know icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%