jeannienc Posted 1 Oct 2005 , 2:11pm
post #1 of

icon_confused.gif I am making my first big sheet cake for my husband's promotion on Monday. I am doing a 2 layer 11 x 15 times 2 - one side chocolate - one side golden butter cake. I am putting a bavarian cream filling inside. I am assuming that the cake will need refridgeration because of this. I am baking the cakes today and I plan to decorate tomorow. What is the best way to keep the cakes moist overnight? Do you have any tips on making it fit together?
I am going to frost with buttercream any ideas on how much I will need?
Thank you,
Jeannie usaribbon.gif

13 replies
MrsMissey Posted 1 Oct 2005 , 2:54pm
post #2 of

Hey jeannieinnc...welcome to Cakecentral!

According to Wilton..you will need 6-1/2 cups of icing for an 11 x 15, so if you are putting one on top of the other and then repeating that for the other flavor, my best guess is that you would need about 15 -16 cups of icing. You can glue the two together with buttercream icing and then give it a good crumb coat..this is the only time I do a crumb coat. Depending on what bavarian creme you are using, you may or may not have to keep it cold. I use the CK brand and it does not have to be refrigerated. HTH!

peacockplace Posted 1 Oct 2005 , 4:19pm
post #3 of

i use that kind too! I love that it doesn't have to go in the fridge!!! I use all their diffrent flavors. Have you ever tried the chocolate bavarian cream?

MrsMissey Posted 1 Oct 2005 , 5:25pm
post #4 of

..no, haven't tried that one yet. Which kind of cake do you use it with?

peacockplace Posted 1 Oct 2005 , 6:31pm
post #5 of

Not sure. I bought some because it sounded yummy... but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

MrsMissey Posted 1 Oct 2005 , 6:48pm
post #6 of

ok, thanks! If you come up with anything let me know, kay? Thanks

Phoov Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 3:08am
post #7 of

jeannienc....I am ready to try this feat too. Since you've opened the subject of layered sheetcakes, I'm wanting to know how to level these larger layers. I am disappointed with the leveling of even my small laters. There always seems to be a slumping side. Any answers??????

debsuewoo Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 3:42am
post #8 of

Here's what you do...

When you fill your cake and put the second layer back on, let the cake settle for a good 20 minutes or so, that way the extra icing from the icing dam will ooze out of the cake and you can manipulate the cake by placing a bit of pressure on the part that you are not happy with.

Debbi

Phoov Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 2:30pm
post #9 of

Debbi~ Thanks! I have never let the layers sit that 20 minutes. I'll try that. Also.....what's the story behind your avatar and slogan at the bottom? I'm curious because I have a couple of tenors that I'm attached to!!!! They're also brass players...and the youngest (my son) just purchased a new tux for his college choir!!!! LOL I think we could talk!!!!! Off in the tulips------SORRY!!! My other question on the cake leveling involves just the layer before it's torted and filled.....too many times there will be a corner that is low...just slightly. I try to compensate with border icing...but I see such nice cakes with no top border and nice crisip edges. I usually overfill my pans and then cut off the tops with my wilton leveler......so there should be no accounting for an unlevel oven...........back to the drawing board! LOL

MrsMissey Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 7:18pm

..I put a little blob of icing under each corner of my sheet cakes to "prop" them up!

Phoov Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 10:35pm

.....hmmmmm...a blob....thanks, I'll try that too!!!

MrsMissey Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 10:46pm

LOL....blob...for lack of a better term!!

Phoov Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 11:16pm

That's OK MM....I can tell that we speak the same language!!! LOLOL

stephanie214 Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 12:12pm

I have the same problem with just one corner...it is thin and dry looking, the other three corners are alright...can't figure it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%