Recipe For An Alternative To 'safety Seal - Food Safe Barrier'

Sugar Work By joyce Updated 7 Feb 2017 , 9:39pm by maybenot

joyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyce Posted 5 Feb 2017 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 10

I have just discovered a product by Ingenious Edibles called   "Safety Seal - a food safe barrier" which is a great idea because you can dip your stems into it and then it is safe to plug them straight into the cake. I like the idea because if you have flowers that need to be plugged into multiple places, you will not have a cake full of plastic picks.

Unfortunately, it is expensive. For example from Amazon USA - $16.34 for 120g + $3.95 for shipping,  from Amazon UK - £12.99 +£3.99  delivery. For the amount I would use the price is far too high.

My question is does anyone have a recipe for a stem sealant that can be used for wire covered stems and also fresh flower stems so I can make it myself in larger quantities. 

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Feb 2017 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 10

no i don't but that's a great find -- i would tack it on to the cost of the cake -- because once you spend the time and money to get the right ingredients -- you would surely have spent that much money or more -- maybe you know someone to share it with?

BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBlackCat Posted 5 Feb 2017 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 10

If you're in the US, Evil Cake Genius carries that, and it seems reasonable, however I don't know what their exact shipping cost would be to you.

http://evilcakegenius.com/index.php/safety-seal.html

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 6 Feb 2017 , 2:18am
post #4 of 10

I have read about people just doing a similar thing but with melted choc/candy melts to create the barrier. 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 6 Feb 2017 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 10

The bottle says:

Ingredients: Palm Oil, Beeswax, Microcrystaline Wax, Titanium Dioxide, Lemon Oil

I don't see much difference in this than in dipping in melted food-grade paraffin wax.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 6 Feb 2017 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 10

I was also thinking paraffin wax.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 6 Feb 2017 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 10

Paraffin isn't the best choice.  It really shouldn't be ingested.

A better alternative is an FDA approved soy wax or beeswax.  I use it to coat foamcore cakeboards that I custom cut.  The one below is even Kosher.

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlewax_golden-brands-402-soy-container-wax.html

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 7 Feb 2017 , 5:22am
post #8 of 10

In t his case paraffin would not be ingested, it is a barrier. Remember it is and has been used in canning for decades, as a sealant/barrier and not ingested.

Ohphelia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohphelia Posted 7 Feb 2017 , 6:19am
post #9 of 10

We just use white chocolate or candy melts.  Cheap and most people already have it on hand.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 7 Feb 2017 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 10

Quote by @gscout73 on 16 hours ago

In t his case paraffin would not be ingested, it is a barrier. Remember it is and has been used in canning for decades, as a sealant/barrier and not ingested.

Yes...................I know....................................but it could easily be broken off during removal of the item and be left in the cake, so in an abundance of caution, using something that IS edible/FDA approved is the best thing to do.

And, yes, chocolate is also my preference for inserted things, as long as chocolate is acceptable to the client.  I don't use it on boards due to the expense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%