How To Roll Out A Large Quantity Of Black Fondant

Decorating By Mycroftisyourcroft Updated 1 Feb 2017 , 11:46pm by ropalma

Mycroftisyourcroft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mycroftisyourcroft Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 5

Got a medium-sized square cake to needs covering in black fondant but I hate the stuff D:

Whenever I've worked with black fondant before it always sticks to the counter top and the rolling pin, them cracks when I drape it over anything. I don't have a mat, so I'll be rolling it out on a counter top. 

Does anyone know how I can make it less sticky and less flimsy? Does kneading shortening into it work? I have very limited funds so I can't really afford to go out and buy more black if it doesn't work out, so this is a bit nerve wracking. 

It's like it can smell fear -_-

Helllllp D:

4 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 5

If it is sticking you need to add powdered sugar to the countertop and rub some on the rolling pin.  You add shortening if the fondant is a bit dry which at this point would not be sticky.  If the fondant is sticky is needs more powedered sugar.

ropalma Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 5

By the way, the powdered sugar can be dusted off with a pastry brush.

Mycroftisyourcroft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mycroftisyourcroft Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 5

Oh thank you! But will it all come off with just a pastry brush? Will in need to use water or alcohol or something too? 

ropalma Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 5

No water...if you need to you can rub it a little shortening but not much so it doesn't get shiny

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%