Storing Decorated Cake

Decorating By Saramina Updated 2 Feb 2017 , 2:21pm by Saramina

Saramina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saramina Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 13

Hi, my son's birthday is this coming Saturday.

I wanna do the cake for him bit it is my first time to bake a cake so I need some advises 

first if you have any easy white cake and frosting recipe?

also the desighn that I will do is just covering the cake with light blue fondant adding some snow fondant or gum paste cutout and I will try to do an olaf topper with gum paste because he wants Olaf cake. I heard that satin products are the best but I don't have time to order them but I also read the the ones at hobby lobby are same please correct me if I am wrong

12 replies
Saramina Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 13

Continue the post 

About storing, I need the whole cake with all the decoration and the topper to be done by friday morning so if it didnt came out good I can still have 24 hours to order one. So please advise me how to store it correctley I have no experience at all :)

Also if you can advice me how to start work like when I can bake when I can do the topper and when I should put every thing together and if you have any advice for me as it's first time to deal with cake, fondant and gum paste

Thank you so much

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 13

Any decorations that are done in GumPaste can be done in advance so that the Gumpaste can harden.  If you have no experience I suggest you look at some videos online on how to cover a cake in fondant.  I would also look at some videos on how to put a cake together.  This will give you the basics much easier than explaining it here. You can bake on Thursday so the cake can be cool on Friday morning to stack and decorate the cake.   I make my own fondant so I have no suggestions on purchasing fondant.  On the recipe you can do a search here in CC and you should find the recipes. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 13

The fondant at Hobby Lobby is fine.  Not sure it's the same as Satin Ice but should be very similar :)      Gumpaste decorations should be made ahead but........do NOT put them in the refrigerator.   You can make the cake ahead and refrig for 2 days but don't add the gumpaste decorations until you are ready to display the cake.   Store gp decos at room temp in a cool, dry place away from light and dust.   If you have freezer space you can bake now; when cake is cool, wrap well in plastic cling wrap & place in a plastic bag then put into the freezer.   When ready to finish the cake, remove the cakes from the freezer the night before or very early in the a.m.  Depending the the size of the cake it should defrost and be ready to work on in something like 3-4 hours for any size under 12" .   To store the finished cake just put it away where no one or animal can reach it.  It will be fine for up to 48 hrs. 

Saramina Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 13

So if I did the gum paste topper tommorow wendesday can it be ready for party saturday ?

and I know that gumpaste is for topper shapes and fondant for covering the cake is that correct ?

ropalma Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 13

Yes it should and fondant is for the cake.  There are videos on how to make Olaf.

Saramina Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 13

Can you send me the links and if you have any easy filling for the cake that can hold under the fondant in the room temperatures

thank you so much I wish I can make it

ropalma Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 13

Here are the links.

ropalma Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 13

ropalma Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 13

Saramina Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 2:38am
post #11 of 13

Thank you :)

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 4:09am
post #12 of 13

Be sure to also look up how to stack and support a cake if you will be stacking the layers.

Saramina Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 2:21pm
post #13 of 13

I will do just one layer since its my first cake better to be safe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%