Need Advise Please

Business By Creampuff2 Updated 25 Apr 2017 , 2:32pm by johnson6ofus

Creampuff2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creampuff2 Posted 26 Jan 2017 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 16

I have a home business , only some people know, I was thinking about an online ordering but I don't know if I should and If I do how do I start and set it up.

15 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2017 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 16

Is there a cottage food law in your state/country/county?  That should be your 1st concern......is it legal to work out of your home where you live.

Are you able to do say 3 or 4 orders a weekend?  That's when most orders are for:)  In other words are you able to handle the work load that might present itself. 

Do y ou have the skill to do many different kinds of designs?   Just a few ?s to ask yourself.

Creampuff2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creampuff2 Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 12:42am
post #3 of 16

yes I have the skills to do and handle 3-4 orders a weekend, No we don't have cottage food law here, I believe I can do it but it's just getting customers to call.

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 1:44am
post #4 of 16

Even if you accept online ordering, clients won't call if they don't know about you.  If you are in compliance with cottage food laws in your state, then consider selling through farmer's markets; you get your name and goods out there, plus recoup your investment.  Take sample products to wedding and event vendors (e.g., hair salons, card (invitation printers) shops, bridal shops).  Networking is important.  A friend of mine does intricately decorated sugar cookies; she joined a cottage food group that has a website. When she was new, other bakers who were well established would refer overflow business to her. 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 2:45am
post #5 of 16

My computer nerds say setting up the website shopping cart and payment functions is the most expensive part of a website. May not be worth it, IMHO.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 5:15am
post #6 of 16

Not to harp on the cottage food laws or whatever it's called in different areas-it can vary between Counties in the same State and they change from time to time, so my first call was to my Health Department.  I had read the rules and amendments online but she was very helpful and gave me a packet of info to help me get started.  Anyway, my State allows me to sell (it has a cap as well, meaning I can on make x amount per year) however, I cannot sell online. 

Sift gave you some excellent advice, kakeladi as well.  I don't know much about online sales, but I'm always trying to learn more about business/branding/marketing, etc. I'm certainly no expert but it's imperative that you have a website, in my humble opinion, especially if you plan to sell online. People are crazy about Social Media so I'd also recommend at least one or two (something I'm still struggling to keep up with lol). I prefer FB and IG, Twitter confuses me but it's very popular as well. As Sift stated, you need to build a following (write out a business plan, figure out who your Target Audience is and how you can reach them) a website is the first 'impression' typically; even if someone has heard of you by word of mouth the first thing I would do as a consumer is look at their website and checkout their work.  You get what I'm saying? 

As far as payment goes have you looked into Etsy, Store Envy, or one of those places? I see lots of FB pages that refer you to their Etsy store or whatever, using paypal with invoices.

Elaborating from SiftandWhisk's comment, look at other small businesses and collaborate with them: Ask your local florist if she wants to offer a special for Valentine's Day, a dozen roses and a box of themed cookies-mutually beneficial!

You do need to invest a certain amount of money into your business, any business, not just in the beginning. Aside from the tips/advise most of it isn't something someone else can really answer for you, you know what I mean? That's why I recommend a business plan-packaging, different post rates, break down your ingredient prices, overhead and all of that terribly boring stuff just to see if you can feasibly make a profit. This is just a glimpse, not to mention the time away from your family, intense motivation, passion...

Good luck! I hope you find some of this helpful!  

Rebecca_cb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebecca_cb Posted 22 Apr 2017 , 7:15am
post #7 of 16

Hi, here is a great website for you to consider.  You can create an online store on Cottagebaker.com. It is a new platform specifically designed for home bakers. It is the first marketplace that offers delivery charge calculator, booking system, request for quote and you can even issue invoice through the site.

It was launched in California not long ago, you may enter 'Los Angeles' on the map to see the current sellers and products. 

Adding an online store is a good idea. Once you open a shop, you will have your own store link to share on your social media. This will give customers an option to easily place orders online. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Apr 2017 , 10:52am
post #8 of 16

rebecca cb -- that's a great idea -- i used to have a shopify website for a non-food business - wonder how that would work for cakes -- just another potential option

-K8memphis Posted 22 Apr 2017 , 10:56am
post #9 of 16

rebecca cb -- just fyi -- the link didn't work for me  but i just typed it in-- looks pretty cool

Rebecca_cb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebecca_cb Posted 22 Apr 2017 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 16

K8memphis, sorry the link didn't work. Yes, you can simply type in www.cottagebaker.com. 

Many custom cakers think that they cannot list a price for custom cakes because it depends on the intricacy of the design. However, without a price, you could miss out many potential customers. Some people are simply too busy to chase down the price if it is not clear to them. 

Some cakers who have an established business list their price by cake sizes or per serving. Customers get the idea and decide if the price range is within their budget. They are less likely to bargain if there is a consistent pricing policy. 

At Cottage baker, you can use the booking system to create an online quote request form. The advantages are, not only will customers see your availability (you can block out dates that are already booked up), they can also get an estimated price and choose from your available cake flavors, fillings and other additional services (e.g cake stand rental). It saves a ton of emails and texting back and forth for both parties.

On the seller's side, after you receive a quote request, you can review the design and any special request, adjust the price as needed and confirm the booking with just a click. Customers will then receive an invoice with the final price and pay online. The order details will also be saved in a booking calendar. 

Here is a custom cake listing by a cottage baker in San Diego. 

https://cottagebaker.com/product/amys-cakery-custom-buttercream-cake-quote-request-form/

There is no cost to open a shop and there is a Mother's Day Raffle going on too. 

-K8memphis Posted 22 Apr 2017 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 16

it's very cool -- and you probably know some folks aren't allowed an online presence depending on their cottage food regulations 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 23 Apr 2017 , 4:08pm
post #12 of 16

Go around neighborhoods and knock on doors and hand out your business cards. If you don't have business cards you can go and get some made up. When I had lawn business I did this and boy I had so much business I needed help years ago. You would be surprised if you took weekends and went to pretty fancy neighborhoods and handed out cards to people. People always have birthdays and love cakes!! It worked for me years ago. The people always told me that they put my card on a magnet on their refrigerators and before I knew it business poured in!!! Go get em and I wish you well in your business!!!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 23 Apr 2017 , 4:11pm
post #13 of 16

I am sure you could probably get your business cards with magnets on the back of them for them to put on refrigerators which would mean they would never lose them!!! Office Depot and other office places will make them up for you and they really are rather reasonably priced!!!

jazzysweetmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jazzysweetmama Posted 25 Apr 2017 , 1:45pm
post #14 of 16

I'm in the begining of starting a home bakery. I'm nervous any advice to make this a worry free process?

-K8memphis Posted 25 Apr 2017 , 2:03pm
post #15 of 16

jazzy -- no, you worry, have great concern for everything -- it's like everlasting whack-a-mole --

but being a home bakery you typically don't have to worry about rent & stuff like that so it's easier -- but it's a big assertive nearly aggressive push -- successful entrepreneurship is not for the timid --

best to you

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 25 Apr 2017 , 2:32pm
post #16 of 16

Quote by @jazzysweetmama on 41 minutes ago

...make this a worry free process?

Not possible.

ANY small business has many worries. Orders, customers, quality, time, cost of goods, cost of labor (even your own), local authorities, state authorities, federal and state taxes, bookkeeping, payments, complaints,marketing, cleaning, supply and inventory, etc, etc., etc.

K8 is right though, not extra "rent" for a store front. The worries are maybe smaller (home bakery versus store front), but not "worry free". The list above may seem like overkill, but you REALLY will have to address all of that...even as a home baker.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%