African Print

Decorating By Phenomenun Updated 4 Apr 2017 , 5:40pm by Phenomenun

Phenomenun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phenomenun Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 1:37am
post #1 of 21

How can I get an African print design on my Fondant without drawing it. I need the Fondant to look like fabric. It would be similar to swaps if you know what those are. But I want the Fondant to look like an African print. The fabric should look like the prints found on dashikis. 

20 replies
Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 1:58am
post #2 of 21

Wax paper transfer.  I think crafty website probably has a video class on it.  There's a decorator named Jessica harris that used to have tutorials online.

Phenomenun Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 21

Quote by @Phenomenun on 13 hours ago

How can I get an African print design on my Fondant without drawing it. I need the Fondant to look like fabric. It would be similar to swaps if you know what those are. But I want the Fondant to look like an African print. The fabric should look like the prints found on dashikis. 

i meant to say the fondant needs to look like fabric similar to the swags technique. And I have done a few buttercream transfers and like the technique very well. However I really don't see how a buttecream transfer would work on fondant that would have a flowing fabric effect similar to swags. I need the print or colors on the fondant to look like dashiki or kente cloth. Do you guys know what that looks like? here are some examples....

[postimage id="6301" thumb="900"][postimage id="6302" thumb="900"]

Siftandwisk2 Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 21

Yes I understand the effect you want and the fabric print. For an intricate design with dimension, you will have to make a fondant overlay and the best way to do that is a wax paper transfer.  I'm not taking about buttercream transfer.  

Design isn't necessarily an exact replica; rather a suggestion with enough detail it speaks for itself.

The only way I know of to create an exact replica of a design, is custom printed edible rice paper.  But that won't give you the dimension you want.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 21

What about wafer paper?  Not saying it would look like fabric, per se, but you could do pleats around the cake with the wafer paper (printed with desired pattern)....mimicking the pleated waist of the dress above.  

Phenomenun Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 21

I WANT THE FONDANT TO HAVE THE COLORS OF KENTE CLOTH OR DASHIKIS BUT I WANT TO USE THE TECHNIQUE OF SWAGS OR PLEATS FOR A DRESS LIKE SEEN HERE [postimage id="6304" thumb="900"][postimage id="6305" thumb="900"]

Phenomenun Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 21

OK GUYS THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS. I WILL HAVE TO GOOGLE WAX PAPER TRANSFER AND WAFER PAPER. I AM NOT SURE WHAT THOSE ARE....

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 21

If you go the wafer paper route, you may need a steamer (or maybe a pot of boiling water would work) - it makes the paper more pliable, so you can get the drapes and curves you need without breaking.  Shawna McGreevy has a few videos on manipulating wafer paper to mimic fabric:

Image result for wafer paper drapes on cake

Image result for shawna mcgreevy wafer paper

Phenomenun Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 21

OK cool i lIke Shawna McGreevy. ill have to search and see if i can find her videos on this topic...........thanks!

Phenomenun Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 21

does anybody have a video of this wax paper transfer technique? i keep searching on youtube but it keeps showing me videos of people using this technique on fabric or wood. there is no video for cakes that i can find..... :(

snsbynaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snsbynaa Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 7:10pm
post #11 of 21

I recently made these cakes, with edible prints.

I just covered my white fondant with it. 

I live in the Netherlands (Amsterdam) so forgive me if I'm not using the right English terms. 

[postimage id="6306" thumb="900"]

Siftandwisk2 Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 7:22pm
post #12 of 21

Google "wax paper transfer cake"

Here's one link to a Jessica Harris video.  I've never watched her videos, but she popularized the technique for cake. I learned it during a hands-on in a cake workshop a few years ago.  It's definitely a good skill to have in your repertoire even if you don't use it for this cake.

regarding edible rice paper (aka wafer paper)...I used it as my primary technique on my cake for that multi day workshop.  The issues are: it's sensitive to humidity so you can't apply it too far in advance or use it on buttercream or any moisture rich components; its difficult to cut through when slicing the cake; has no flavor, but the texture is such you don't really want to eat it.  Because of its fragility you should make duplicate decorations.  The instructor advised me to make 50% more decorations than I anticipated using. There can be a lot of collateral damage in handling it.

Quote by @Phenomenun on 55 minutes ago

does anybody have a video of this wax paper transfer technique? i keep searching on youtube but it keeps showing me videos of people using this technique on fabric or wood. there is no video for cakes that i can find..... :(

Siftandwisk2 Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 7:23pm
post #13 of 21

Siftandwisk2 Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 7:44pm
post #14 of 21

Just one last thought...I think kente cloth patterns will translate to fondant.  Since you're researching methods, Google "tartan pattern on fondant" to give you some ideas on how fabric patterns are created on fondant.  I guess that was two thoughts, not one.

Phenomenun Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 8:22pm
post #15 of 21

that is beautiful!!!! thats exactly the kind of print i want. But I am trying to do this print on a dress for a doll cake hence the swag/drape/pleat look I am going for. so with that being said was the fondant still pliable after you applied the edible prints? also what do you use to apply them and where can I buy them??? :D

Phenomenun Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 8:24pm
post #16 of 21

Quote by @snsbynaa on 1 hour ago

I recently made these cakes, with edible prints.

I just covered my white fondant with it. 

I live in the Netherlands (Amsterdam) so forgive me if I'm not using the right English terms. 

900_african-print_9933765888f80ad2c79.jpg

that is beautiful!!!! thats exactly the kind of print i want. But I am trying to do this print on a dress for a doll cake hence the swag/drape/pleat look I am going for. so with that being said was the fondant still pliable after you applied the edible prints? also what do you use to apply them and where can I buy them??? :D

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 10:17pm
post #17 of 21

Pleating fodant should not be that much of a problem. Just make the print like snsbynna's pix and hand pleat it.  I really think it would be easy but don't know how much it will mess up the print....I mean how it will turn out.....the one on the left would come out totally different i think if pleated.......just a random thought.

Phenomenun Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 1:40pm
post #18 of 21

Hey guys,

I know I am SUPER DUPER late. But i really wanted to thank you guys again for the suggestions and give you a picture of the finished product. I ended up using the edible print method. It worked like a charm. Now i just need to work on this pleating technique. I had some challenges but overall I am pleased with this cake. This is my first doll cake and first time using edible prints. Thanks again guys! African Print

GoWildCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GoWildCakes Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 9:40pm
post #19 of 21

Beautiful outcome! I love the head piece as well.

Phenomenun Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 5:40pm
post #20 of 21

thanks. I really didn't know how to tackle the head piece. I ended up using some of that edible print on the bottom and used an extruder with a kind of clover like shape for texture/layered look on the rest. going forward i now i need to apply the fondant BEFORE i put the doll in. that really made a headache for me lol. also i want to figure out a better way to do the bodice on the doll itself.

Phenomenun Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 5:40pm
post #21 of 21

thanks. I really didn't know how to tackle the head piece. I ended up using some of that edible print on the bottom and used an extruder with a kind of clover like shape for texture/layered look on the rest. going forward i now i need to apply the fondant BEFORE i put the doll in. that really made a headache for me lol. also i want to figure out a better way to do the bodice on the doll itself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%