How Much Should I Charge?

Business By Dailyn04 Updated 25 Jan 2017 , 3:53am by -K8memphis

Dailyn04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dailyn04 Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone, 

I would like to sell a few items for valentines day made from home. I am planning to make truffles, fruit arrangements, macaroons, and chocolate covered strawberries. I live in Miami, FL. The pictures show pretty much how they will look like with the packaging and food items. How much should I charge per item? I will also offer to deliver to whoever asks. Thank you in advance. 

boxes-for-chocolate-covered-strawberries-15.jpg

Bulk+truffle+box+1.jpg?format=750w

clear-macaron-boxes-7-macarons-300-4.jpg

12fb1f2ace9e71463c5bd87f0f49bfc7.jpg

6 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 7

First of all, is it legal to do this? I'm totally unfamiliar with Florida's cottage food laws, but I would think that's what would apply.

Secondly, what are your costs? You need to determine what each item costs you. Don't forget things like cleaning supplies, gas for shopping and delivery, gas/electricity for baking, and a reasonable amount for your time. No one else will have the same costs, so no one else can tell you how much to charge.

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 7

Jgifford is correct on both counts.

Cottage food laws are in place for public health reasons.  Violation of the law can be expensive.  This past year in California a Facebook group of cooks were charged for selling food to public without proper license and compliance to cottage food industry laws.  Under a plea deal all but one were fined given probation.  The one woman who refused the plea deal is facing a trial.  If convicted, she faces jail time and a fine.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you Siftandwisk for that info.   Calling this to attention AGAIN is sooooo necessary as so many on here (and other similar sites) ignore most of us when we tell them it is illegal to work out of your home in most states.  

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 7

Kakeladi--gotta say I just realized how your screen name is pronounced!  Too cute.

yes I agree that knowledge of cottage food laws is too often neglected.  in California those chocolate covered fresh berries are illegal.  Our law only allows for sale of chocolate covered non-perishable food when produced from a home kitchen.  So for chocolate dipped products with fruit, only dried fruit can be used.  

And in California they don't mess around when it comes to compliance.  In the incident I mentioned, the county had an employee place orders with all those on the Facebook site.  As soon as the food was delivered and the cash was transferred, the county immediately made the arrest.  So they aren't waiting for reports of violations, but actively looking for violators.  

Dailyn04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dailyn04 Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for your concerns and guidance. It is not illegal to work from home in Florida, just there is a few limitations on what you can and cannot make. I   Went back to the guide and the only thing I wouldn't be able to make would be that fruit arrangements...on that note, I will edit my post. Thanks 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 3:53am
post #7 of 7

i just want to say they all look delectable  -- check shari's berries for similar pricing on the berries -- i checked sees candies and heart boxes of chocolates are running about $25 a pound -- the macarons are gorgeous -- love the packaging -- for 7 macarons say $21.00 give or take

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%