Yolandas Ultimate Vanilla Cake Recipe? Youtube

Baking By sweetcrunch Updated 17 Jun 2017 , 4:54pm by cheras

sweetcrunch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcrunch Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 4:04am
post #1 of 17

I was wondering has anyone ever tried or uses Yolanda Gampps Ultimate vanilla cake recipe? She has a channel on YouTube named "How To Cake It." I want to try her recipe but it seems pretty difficult to make. Her recipe is divided into pounds (4lbs 6lbs and 8lbs) They all seem a bit too much just to try it out. How would it convert it into like 2 or 3lbs? Heres the link to the recipe and chart.

https://howtocakeit.com/blogs/cakes/53602753-yos-ultimate-vanilla-cake-for-kin-community-and-my-favourite-fondant-hacks

16 replies
Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 5:58am
post #2 of 17

I love her videos, but I haven't tried any of her recipes yet; I don't like the way she has them written for some reason. But I think for a 2lb recipe you would just half the measurements of the 4lb recipe, and probably you would be ok to bake it in an 8" or 9" round pan, or maybe 2-6" layers. HTH!

Jessica.altidor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica.altidor Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 17

I have I really love the outcome it's tasty and moist. And I have halved the 4lb into a 2lb just by cutting everything in half and it worked out perfectly 

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 16 Jan 2017 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 17

I looked at her channel in the past, but was never inspired to try her vanilla cake.  I think her recipe is too vague, too many variables.

volume measurements rather than weight.  Is her cup of flour based on 120 grams like KAF; or 136 grams like Dorie Greenspan; or 146 grams like ATK?  Does she use the dip method, or spoon method to measure.

and what type of flour? Cake flour? AP flour? Low protein soft winter red wheat like White Lily? Or low protein hard winter red wheat?

Milk--whole, reduced, or non-fat?

I thought it odd she uses volume measurements for ingredients, but batter weight for cake/pan size.  There's a disconnect there.  To scale a recipe, you need baker's percentages.  Batter weight is determined by ingredients' weight; when you use volume measurements the batter weight will never be accurate or consistent.  

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 1:06am
post #5 of 17

I've used her recipes for both chocolate and vanilla with no issues and great reviews.  They are dense rich cakes, great for carving and you can really soak them with simple syrup, which is great for long decorating times. I converted all the ingredients to grams.  She's in Canada and I believe Canadian cups are equal to American so that's how I converted (130 grams for flour).

She says all her cakes are with all purpose flour unless stated otherwise. I always use whole milk when baking. Dutch cocoa for the chocolate is a must.

Just remember that she uses all 3" high pans so if you use her weights with 2" pans, they will over flow.  You can easily cut her recipes in half though. Or just use the 4lb recipe for 2 8" layers, depends on how high you like your layers.

Not hard to mix at all, just the standard creaming method...cream butter and sugar, add eggs/vanilla, alternate wet & dry.

hth

LadyDiana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyDiana Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 1:16am
post #6 of 17

I love her vanilla cake recipe.  It's easy to follow  and always turns out great.   It's now my go to   Vanilla cake recipe.  I use all purpose flour and whole milk. I spoon the flour in my measuring cup and then level with a knife.   I've made the 4 lb and 6 lb recipe many times.  Fresh out of the oven it's delicious!   I always  follow her advice and use simple syrup on the cake layers.  IMO it's a dense, moist and delicious vanilla cake. My family loves it.  But it really comes down to personal preference. 

LadyDiana Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 1:18am
post #7 of 17

I agree jinkies.  Her chocolate cake recipe rocks too!

sweetcrunch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcrunch Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 1:29am
post #8 of 17

Wow thanks everyone I think Im going to try for recipe and the WASC recipe and see which one I like best!

Also is there any advice you can give me on a cutting a recipe in half? or any online tools that can help me. Im not very good when it comes to that part. Sorry for sounding uneducated...

Jessica.altidor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica.altidor Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 1:37am
post #9 of 17

I used this link when I halved her 4lb recipe 

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/how-to-cook/how-to-cut-down-recipes

cuky21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuky21 Posted 17 Jan 2017 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 17

Hi everyone! Has anyone converted her recipes to weight measurements? I tried to make the chocolate cake and it came out very dry. I don't know if it's because like Siftandwisk2  says, maybe it depends on the method for measuring.

Thank you. =)

LadyDiana Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 2:31am
post #11 of 17

Cuky 21 did you add simple syrup to the cake layers? Unless I'm eating the cake fresh out of oven or the same day, I find her vanilla and chocolate cake recipes dry without simple syrup.  But with simple syrup it's so good! She adds simple syrup to her vanilla and chocolate cakes every time.  

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 3:12am
post #12 of 17

Quote by @cuky21 on 4 hours ago

Hi everyone! Has anyone converted her recipes to weight measurements? I tried to make the chocolate cake and it came out very dry. I don't know if it's because like Siftandwisk2  says, maybe it depends on the method for measuring.

Thank you. =)

Just some info on troubleshooting a dry chocolate cake that may be helpful in the future.  If the chocolate cake was made with cocoa powder, then I'd first look at hydration as a cause of the dry cake.  When cocoa powder is dissolved in hot water, as the mixture cools a substantial amount of water evaporates.  Problem is when volume measurement is used there's no way to determine how much additional water to add after the cocoa powder and water mixture cools.  When weight measurement is used, you add the total weight of cocoa powder and water, re-weigh the mixture after cooling, then adjust the water for the evaporation loss.  

Other causes of dry cake due to ingredients is too much flour; too much leavening; too strong of a flour.  Two of these three problems are measurement issues.

Regarding simple syrup...I know simple syrup is the default for dry cake syndrome; but that's treating the symptom, rather than addressing the cause.  Yes, some cake types are dry by design, such as genoise, so they require simple syrup.  But the average cake should not be so dry that it's inedible without infusing with simple syrup. 

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 6:31am
post #13 of 17

I think that's the issue I have with her recipes and videos: if you're having to soak your cake with simple syrup your recipe is too dry in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I learn a lot from her videos! I just wonder why her recipe is so dry.

cuky21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuky21 Posted 18 Jan 2017 , 3:12pm
post #14 of 17

Yes, I did add simple syrup to the final cake, but what I meant is the cake itself seemed dry to me. I guess that's the way that cake is.

Quote by @LadyDiana on 11 hours ago

Cuky 21 did you add simple syrup to the cake layers? Unless I'm eating the cake fresh out of oven or the same day, I find her vanilla and chocolate cake recipes dry without simple syrup.  But with simple syrup it's so good! She adds simple syrup to her vanilla and chocolate cakes every time.  

cheras Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheras Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 3:09pm
post #15 of 17

@Jinkies ‍ I've attempted the vanilla cake but always seems to sink in the middle, so much so that I'm not able to use the cake. Can you please tell me if you reduce the amount of baking powder? How much in grams would that be? What about the weight in eggs? I do weigh everything out and my large eggs range from 54g -65g/egg. How much do your eggs weigh in grams? I have played around with this recipe a bit but does not come out for me. I absolutely love her chocolate and chocolate banana cake--oh my is that good!  I will use your measurements and am hoping this will work for me. Thank you for posting your tips!!

wntrdove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wntrdove Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 5:01pm
post #16 of 17

@cheras, are you high altitude by any chance? I am and I had to adjust Yo's vanilla cake recipe is one of the first I've run into that I HAD to make adjustments to make it work here (5,000+ feet above sea level). I add an extra egg (added liquid and protein) and reduced the baking powder by 1/8 t. per teaspoon. And added 2oz extra liquid. That fixed the sinking cake problem for me.

I also tested adjusting the sugar but it didn't make a huge difference, just made the cake a little more dense.

If you are at altitude here's a link to a document on high altitude baking adjustments: http://extension.colostate.edu/docs/comm/highaltitude.pdf

cheras Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheras Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 4:54pm
post #17 of 17

@wntrdove ‍ Thank you so much for responding to my dilemma....I am from southern california and not at high altitude. I'm trying this again today using the suggestions listed above. I hope that corrects my problem. I'll post what works once I find a solutions. I know your tips will help those at high altitude. This is such a great tasting cake and well worth the trouble :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%