Age Old Red Icing Question

Decorating By JamiJ1225 Updated 4 Jan 2017 , 2:43pm by frstech

JamiJ1225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamiJ1225 Posted 20 Dec 2016 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all.  I finally bought some Ameri Color super red after reading tons of reviews.  I know to start with a lighter color than I want and let it sit for awhile, but I am using 1 1/2 tubs of store bought white frosting and after four healthy drops and sitting for few hours, it's still pink.  Should I gradually keep adding more super red?  I am aiming for a Christmas-y type red to make an ornament cake.

8 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 21 Dec 2016 , 1:38am
post #2 of 9

Making red by adding red to white is going to take a lot of color, and it may ruin your fondant. Pull a small amount of fondant off, add a couple drops of green to see if it starts to counteract that pink. I usually make my own fondant, but if I need a deep red, I start with a pink base. 

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 21 Dec 2016 , 7:58am
post #3 of 9

Go back and shake your bottle vigorously for about 2 minutes, sometimes the gel separates after sitting on a shelf for a while, it can also separate from temperature changes..

Then knead in quite a bit more. I make my own fondant, and when I am making super red fondant, I squeeze  quite a bit of coloring.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Dec 2016 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 9

As others said, starting from white to get red is probably going to take the whole bottle of red color :(  No matter what type of icing one uses it;s best to tint it orange OR yellow OR pink 1st, then add the red.  Just '4 healthy drops" is NOT going to do it.  I know one can use any flavor  of UNsweetened KoolAid that is red in b'cream.  Haven't tried that w/fondant.  

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 22 Dec 2016 , 4:50am
post #5 of 9

Is this fondant or canned icing?

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 22 Dec 2016 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 9

Oh I can't read lol it does say store bought canned frosting. Disregard

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 27 Dec 2016 , 7:52am
post #7 of 9

I would add more red and a touch of cocoa powder to get a Chrismassy red.

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 27 Dec 2016 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 9

I second the cocoa. It works very well to get a deep red and it still tastes good.

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 4 Jan 2017 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 9

I always make orange then tint the orange red. I had not heard of the cocoa powder idea and will try that in the future!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%