Friday Night Cake Club For 12/09/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 18 Dec 2016 , 8:47pm by OHaresTstyTrts

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Dec 2016 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 39

Opening up another session of the FNCC! All levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help if they need it or provide help if they can. Hope to see lots of photos this week!

Cat

38 replies
catlharper Posted 11 Dec 2016 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 39

Hi Everyone!

This is the first time in almost two weeks that I've been able to get the site to work for me!!! Time to play catch up! Hope to see all the creations I've been missing while I couldn't get technology to be my friend!!

Cat

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 11 Dec 2016 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 39

Hi there, catlharper! I hope you are well!

I wrote about the small cake drama/disaster I had yesterday, a thread about missing FNCC )))

Here are a couple if simple cakes 

[postimage id="5959" thumb="900"]

LelekBolek Posted 11 Dec 2016 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 39

[postimage id="5960" thumb="900"]

LelekBolek Posted 11 Dec 2016 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 39

[postimage id="5962" thumb="900"]

LelekBolek Posted 11 Dec 2016 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 39

And the Spiderman-themed one, without the piece the staff broke. Ugh. I did receive a very nice email from the clients, raving about the cake's look and flavor, regardless of the incident.

[postimage id="5963" thumb="900"]

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 11 Dec 2016 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 39

@catlharper ‍ glad you are finally able to gain access to the site again.  I "took over" FNCC last week when I saw a post you made about having issues (tagged you), so I hope you don't mind.

@LelekBolek ‍ I can only see 2 of your 4 photos.  Not sure if it's a site issue or one with my tablet.  What I can see looks great!  Sorry to hear about the fiasco you had with the Spiderman cake.

No cakes for me this week but I did make some gingerbread cookies.  After doing the gingerbread house topper for my gingerbread cake the other week, I got the idea to make more of them to take to my pottery class yesterday.   I figured it might be a nice little surprise for my classmates and our instructor as it was our last class for the winter (they start back up in the spring).  They were very surprised and just kept staring at them! Lol  To cut them out I used the more than a bird house cutters and the base cookie was from the Wilton melted sowman cutter set.

I also made some gingerbread snowflakes for my hairdresser.  I make them every year for Christmas and wanted to try some different patterns for decorating them.

That's all for me.  Hope to see what  everyone else has been up to.

kstevens Posted 11 Dec 2016 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 39

[postimage id="5964" thumb="900"]

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 11 Dec 2016 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 39

@catlharper ‍ glad you can get on line again. 

@LelekBolek ‍I can only see 2 pictures. I love the silver bell cupcakes. 

@kstevens ‍ those are the cutest gingerbread houses.

I baked cookies this week for a Christmas party at my house last night. Sugar cookies with buttercream, nutmeg sparkles, snickerdoodles, oatmeal, chocolate chip, gingerbread, Oreo balls, and turtles. I still have a gingerbread house to put together it was supposed to be my centerpiece, but I ran out of time. Plan to get it finished this week.

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 11 Dec 2016 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 39

[postimage id="5969" thumb="900"]

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 1:54am
post #11 of 39

For a potluck Saturday night, I did the yule log cake from the Cake Mix Doctor book, with a cooked icing that sets up like fudge, and brandied whipped cream filling/topping.  

Over the years, I've found the easiest way to frost it is to make a double recipe of the chocolate pan icing, and then after letting it cool just a bit in the pan, putting a piece of parchment paper over the pan the cake was baked in, and spreading the icing on it, then letting it cool to be clay like,  Then I flip it onto the cake like fondant, trim off the excess, and use that to cover the ends.  Otherwise, if it's warm enough to spread, it keeps falling off the cake.

15319147_10154233547308233_7599190300051331717_n.jpg?oh=1a2b91b98ecdc9fd7fb5a454a890749a&oe=58AF7CB8

I piped the holly leaves free form with melted candy, and the berries are sixlets with a black dot drawn on with a marker.

15317772_10154234131848233_2945297542785449904_n.jpg?oh=19467034b9a41182a5d3b80692ed20b7&oe=58F08F42

15391158_10154234132008233_1896029061567626816_n.jpg?oh=e1dbd6a5e17625b323757d53611d4cda&oe=58F6DE3D

catlharper Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 5:11am
post #12 of 39

WOW everyone! What truly wonderful Christmas creations!!! I feel like I missed out on SO much! 

@LelekBolek ‍ Your "simple" cakes look amazing! Sorry to hear about Spidey but it sounds like the clients were still very happy!

@kstevens ‍ Oh! Thank you SOOOO much for taking over! I was beside myself because the site just wasn't working right for me and I couldn't do anything with it except get into old posts! I'm so happy you guys were able to do the FNCC without me! Whew! Also, I can see why your classmates were all ga-ga over the houses...they are simply AH-Mazing!

@Marian64 ‍ I am in love with your Santa Cookies!!! How totally perfect! I'm sure they were a big hit, along with your other characters, for the party.

@Magda_MI ‍ Oh, Em, Gee...I just wanna take a big ol bite out of that yule log! It looks SO rich and yummy!

Well, I have two cakes coming up. One of them for work but with a Christmas theme for a co-workers birthday, and one Minnie Mouse themed for a 3 yr old's birthday.  I'll post photos as those come up.

Cat

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 5:20am
post #13 of 39

Welcome back to cakecentral.com @catlharper ‍! 

Seems I have problems viewing some pictures on here too...will come back to it later. @LelekBolek ‍ I was looking forward to see spiderman but unfortunately I can't!!! @kstevens ‍ same for your picture :(

@Marian64 ‍ those cookies are adorable! I wanna use the school holidays which have just started to bake some with the kids. They won't be as pretty as yours but it's always fun. 

@Magda_MI ‍ what a clever idea! I love swiss roll but never thought of decorating it so festive like you did. Great!

julia1812 Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 5:24am
post #14 of 39

This is a car cake I've made for my son's friend. I hate car cakes as there are so many details lol...

[postimage id="5972" thumb="900"]

And I've also done some Christmas tree meringues for my kids' class Christmas parties at school.

[postimage id="5973" thumb="900"]

catlharper Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 5:27am
post #15 of 39

@julia1812 ‍ I hate doing cars too! But this one really knocks it out of the park! Amazing! And, oh my, my son would be ALL over those trees! Those are his favorite cookies and he'll eat till he's sick! LOL! Love that idea!

Cat

julia1812 Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 5:33am
post #16 of 39

@kstevens ‍after posting and refreshing the site your picture popped up. Wow...I love ginger bread houses! Yours have so much details it's very nice. What did you use for the tiles on the roof?

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 7:03am
post #17 of 39

Hi everyone - loving all of the Christmassy baked goods being done recently!  They all look so delish!  I especially love those little meringue Christmas trees, and the gingerbread house cookies!  So cute!

I've done these guys this week.... one chocolate orange truffle cake and one monster.

[postimage id="5974" thumb="900"][postimage id="5975" thumb="900"]

LelekBolek Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 11:17am
post #18 of 39

[postimage id="5977" thumb="900"]

LelekBolek Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 11:18am
post #19 of 39

[postimage id="5978" thumb="900"]

LelekBolek Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 11:48am
post #20 of 39

Maybe the photos will post this time.

I love all of the creations this week from you! Than monster is so cute! And all cookies are adorable. 

julia1812 Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 12:53pm
post #21 of 39

@LelekBolek ‍ is that the cake which got damaged? I looked very closely and can't find anything . Either I'm blind or you did a fantastic job fixing it. 

Love the monster! When the picture was loading I thought it's a big lime or lemon lol. Great work ! 

LelekBolek Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 1:10pm
post #22 of 39

@julia1812 ‍ yes, that's the cake, but the broken piece is not on it. Between the raised skyline, there was a supercool large spiderweb, made of dried icing, with the number 4 in the middle, for the kid's age.  That got killed by a staff at the venue. I had tried to repair it, but the new icing did not have time to dry by the cake serving moment (I had asked the client to let me know how it went). They were very pleased with it anyway. But it would have been much more fun and picture-perfect. I had thought about making a second one, but I trusted myself with the one I had. I could have placed it there without any problems, but the staff at the venue did not let me go and assemble the cake in the proper back room, or at the table. I was glad that the clients could see the issues I had with the staff, and that I, and clients, asked several times to be allowed to put this thing together away from high traffic front door area. The girl "assured" us that she knows what she's doing. I warned her about how fragile the piece was, and once again, it would be much, much better if _I_ handle the cake to its place of serving, but then it was out of my hands. I felt p***ed,  for myself as a decorator who put a lot of effort into it. And for clients whose cake was not how I promised/sketched it would look. Funny that AFTER the piece was broken, I was suddenly allowed every access to any back room and anything they had (icing, tools...) Crazy people. The girl was very sorry. 

srichmond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srichmond Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 2:33pm
post #23 of 39

I was playing with gum paste. The lighting was terrible and the flower looks a little washed out/yellow. It's really pink.[postimage id="5980" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 3:04pm
post #24 of 39

@Marian64 ‍ Your cookies look great! Loving the Santa :-)  I never think to use buttercream on my cookies.

@Magda_MI ‍ clever way to cover your yule log which sounds and looks delish!

@catlharper ‍ Glad you are ok with the fact that I took over last week.  The week doesn't seem complete without FNCC so I wanted to keep it going.  Good luck with your upcoming cakes.  I look forward to seeing them :-) 

@julia1812 ‍ your car is awesome and those meringue trees are adorable!  Meringues are on my "to try" list as I have never done them.  The tiles for the roof of my houses were done with a sour candy belt.  They were something on clearance that I picked up some time ago thinking they would find a use eventually (and sour candy is my favorite).  I cut them down the center to get red and green strips and then blue and yellow strips.  Unfortunately I didn't have enough to do all red and green which would have been my preference. I'll attach a picture of them.

@me_me1 ‍ the chocolate orange truffle cake looks delicious! I am a sucker for chocolate and orange together.  That monster....soooo cute!!!

@LelekBolek ‍ Nice to see the two cakes that weren't visible earlier.  They both look great!

@srichmond ‍ great job on the poinsetta!

kstevens Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 3:05pm
post #25 of 39

This is the candy I used for the roof of my gingerbread houses:

[postimage id="5981" thumb="900"]

julia1812 Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 3:35pm
post #26 of 39

@kstevens ‍that's so clever! Thanks for sharing the idea. I also love those sour candy belts...reminds me of my childhood!

CheatDayTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheatDayTreats Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 5:55pm
post #27 of 39

[postimage id="5982" thumb="900"][postimage id="5983" thumb="900"]

srichmond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srichmond Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 6:00pm
post #28 of 39

@kstevens ‍ Thanks so much, I'm still new but having a ball!

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 14 Dec 2016 , 4:46am
post #29 of 39

This was a cake for a friends daughter's birthday on Saturday. Purple ombre rosette. I did a cake earlier in the week also, but I'm still looking for the photo. I'm pretty sure I took a quick picture of it. lol.

[postimage id="5997" thumb="900"]

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 14 Dec 2016 , 4:54am
post #30 of 39

@me_me1 ‍ Love the monster cake! Super cute!

@LelekBolek ‍ Your spiderman cake looks awesome!

@kstevens ‍ As usual... Your work looks fantastic!

I love all the festive cakes! I had yet to make one. We are having a Christmas dinner at work on the 20th, and I'm debating bringing a Christmas themed cake. I haven't decided yet and time is running out. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%