Icing Fiasco

Decorating By Gr8grmr Updated 9 Dec 2016 , 6:31pm by Gr8grmr

Gr8grmr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gr8grmr Posted 7 Dec 2016 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 11

Hi. I'm asking for help with a batch of icing I made. Back story. I make cookies for the military. 700 last shipment and 1500 coming up. I usually don't take orders but got a request for my signature cookie for a wedding. I waited until the last minute(normal for me) and decorated days before they had to ship. 200 cookies. Well the icing would not set. It was opaque and soft. The edible marker sank in after 2 days. I showed her and she said ship them anyway. Then on arrival the black ink smudged green. I am afraid of this happening again! Any ideas?? [postimage id="5871" thumb="900"]

10 replies
Gr8grmr Posted 8 Dec 2016 , 12:00am
post #2 of 11

Sorry the picture is blurry. It's what she sent me. The tags and chains were a different batch so they were ok. The icing wouldn't beat up to a stiff consistency. Close but not quite. It looked a lot like kayro icing once "dry" though it never set hard  

I never charge for the cookies. I do it as a thank you to them. Small but it's what I got! You can see more of my obsession on my FB page. I Made That Cookie. It's a long back story so if you're interested, check it out. I won't bore you with the details here :) 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 8 Dec 2016 , 4:26am
post #3 of 11

Sorry I can't help, but I'm sure someone will defintely be able to stir you in the right direction!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Dec 2016 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 11

Is that royal icing?  Most likely there was a streak of fat/oil in the mixer bowl.  The classic way of cleaning a mixer bowl to prepare it for making royal is, (after it's been washed and dried) to rub the interior of the bowl with salt and vinegar.  Then wipe that out too.  then make royal.  the process works for preparing the bowl to make meringue, also.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Dec 2016 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 11

Also gel black color frequently breaks down into its underlying colors.  I've found powdered colors to be more stable.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2016 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 11

I echo what leah_s said.  I think there was some fat/oil (a speck of egg yolk?) somewhere it shouldn't have been - bowl, beaters. fork or spoon used etc.

Gr8grmr Posted 9 Dec 2016 , 3:14am
post #7 of 11

Thank you! That was my initial thought but the person who washed them said she used hot soapy water and that they were clean. I have a separate set of everything for RI but wasn't at home. I'm not set up to do hundreds of cookies and she was kind enough to offer her help! 

Powdered color, how does that work for writing? Sorry, I'm new. I just want to be as good as I can for my military. These are some of the 700 sent  we are gearing up for 1500 for Christmas. I am hoping to get the kinks worked out! 

[postimage id="5953" thumb="900"]

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 9 Dec 2016 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 11

I don't have any suggestions to offer but I just wanted to say Thank You for doing what you do for the military - that is great!

T

Gr8grmr Posted 9 Dec 2016 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you so much for saying that theresaf! It's an honor to do it. I'm glad I found this site to be able to get better :)

I'm flying to Sheppard AF base for Christmas Day to hand out 1500 cookies and 50 gift bags. 

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 9 Dec 2016 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 11

I think we'd all love to see a picture of that !

Merry Christmas

T

Gr8grmr Posted 9 Dec 2016 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 11

I'll be sure to post. They are small, one bite cookies, but I figured I could make more if they are small. The 700 mailed went in like 15 minutes, but I divided it into 4 boxes, 1 for each Squadron. This time I'm doing it in person so I can get pics! 

There are pictures of the cookies and some Airmen with them on my FB page   I Made That Cookie. If it puts a smile on one face, it's a success! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%