Can I Use Chiffon Cake In A Stack Up Wedding Cake?

Decorating By tweetymug Updated 8 Dec 2016 , 5:44am by tweetymug

tweetymug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweetymug Posted 7 Dec 2016 , 1:46am
post #1 of 9

It is my first post here, hopefully I didn't ask silly question.

I love the taste and texture of chiffon cakes, and I would like to make my own wedding cake in future. But the wedding cake I tried before on my friend's wedding are too sweet, dry and heavy, and I have been told that wedding cake are supposed to be hard and  heavy otherwise it will collapse when stacking up.

But while it is gonna be my wedding cake,  I want to make it a chiffon but not others, so can anyone here tried to stack up chiffon cakes before and share me some experience?

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

8 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Dec 2016 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 9

The first thing is that it's not the cake that holds up the tiers it's the supports, dry and heavy for stacking is just an excuse for bad cake! Some have said with good supports you can stack Jello. If I were going to stack something as delicate as chiffon I would invest in SPS through Global Sugar Arts.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Dec 2016 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, what pastrylady said.  It's not the cake that supports the upper tiers but the support system used.  I suggest you do lots of googling about supporting stacked cakes.  There are a ton of YouTube videos that will help you understand how to put together a stacked cake.

tweetymug Posted 8 Dec 2016 , 2:42am
post #4 of 9

Thank you very much , because I am not a professional, I didn't know about the support system for cakes, now I will check and learn more about it.

I have watch how people stack up cakes and most of them just use 4 bubble tea straws, which make me a bit confused. Since I don't think it will work on chiffon cakes^^

Thanks again for your precious information

tweetymug Posted 8 Dec 2016 , 2:45am
post #5 of 9

Thank you very much, I did a lot of research but I was using " chiffon cake stack up" instead of "cake support system", well lack of knowledge is a sin>.<

now I use the right key words, I am so happy to find out a lot of information

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 8 Dec 2016 , 4:47am
post #6 of 9

Yes you most definitely can :) A lot of my cakes,  even the tiered cakes, are chiffon cakes. They are iced with Swiss Meringue Buttercream, covered in fondant and stacked using bubble tea straws. 

tweetymug Posted 8 Dec 2016 , 5:20am
post #7 of 9

So even I just use bubble tea straw it will work anyway?

That's amazing. Maybe I should try it

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 8 Dec 2016 , 5:23am
post #8 of 9

I would try it for a family cake, not for a paying customer. Just so that you can get a feel for it. But if you want some samples, below is a link to my website. Most of my cakes are made with chiffon cakes, as my community (Filipinos) enjoy chiffon cakes the best! 

www.mattyeatscakes.com

tweetymug Posted 8 Dec 2016 , 5:44am
post #9 of 9

I am from Hong Kong and all of my friends and family love Chiffon cake as well. I even add more milk and less flour to make it softer. Thank you for your sharing^^ I love it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%