Vertical / Standing Number 1 Cake

Decorating By KERKL Updated 28 Nov 2016 , 7:30am by KERKL

KERKL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KERKL Posted 27 Nov 2016 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 7

I have bee asked by a client to make a number 1 cake for her daughters birthday, but she wants it standing up rather than laying down. It really concerns me for many reasons, so wondered if anyone has ever made one, how did it transport, is there a tutorial anywhere and do you have any tips?

Any help gratefully received x

6 replies
Vanitycakes.ca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanitycakes.ca Posted 27 Nov 2016 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 7

Cut the number out of gumpaste and leave it to dry. You can use fondant but takes longer to dry.  Put a candy stick/dowel into the cake and attach the number to it with royal icing or buttercream. Done this hundreds of times with no issues, transports fine. :)

KERKL Posted 27 Nov 2016 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for the reply, but its the whole cake she wants standing upright, not just a gumpaste number :)

Vanitycakes.ca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanitycakes.ca Posted 27 Nov 2016 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 7

Sorry I read your post wrong lol! I would tell her no. You can't do it, you would need something like a custom built frame support inside. Something like that would be too much work to build and then very tricky to decorate and too fragile to transport.  

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 28 Nov 2016 , 4:23am
post #5 of 7

I would use/make a cake board with an inserted center dowel (so it's standing up by itself) then stack as many cake squares or rounds as you need (you didn't say how many servings), inserting a board every 5-6 inches if it should be that high with dowel support and an extended board for the top part where the "1" bends to the left. 

MGRO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MGRO Posted 28 Nov 2016 , 6:42am
post #6 of 7

I think it should be do-able, my initial thought when I read your question was like @julia1812 ‍ 's idea.

This was discussed previously as well. Check out this link: 

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/334263/can-you-make-a-3-d-number-1-cake-standing-upright

Good luck!

KERKL Posted 28 Nov 2016 , 7:30am
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone. I can totally see the cake in the link wold work, but on a stress level as its got to travel 25 miles, iced in fondant and i dont think if i made the top "fake" there would be enough portions i am going to say it needs to be a traditional number 1 - laying down! 

however i intend to give it a go on one of my own kids birthdays that has a 1 in it!

Thank you so much xxx! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%