Stacking Buttercream Cake On Gold Leaf Covered Cake??

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 8 Jan 2017 , 6:07am by SugarMama5

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 26 Nov 2016 , 2:14am
post #1 of 11

Question for you all. I'm doing a 3 tiered wedding cake this month. The top and bottom tier will be covered with gold leaf and the middle tier is going to be covered with buttercream rosettes. Any tips for stacking the middle buttercream tier on top of the bottom gold leaf tier so I don't mess up the gold leaf? And tips for stacking the top gold leaf tier on top of the buttercream cake? I don't want to mess up the gold leaf with the buttercream. I've even debated stacking all 3 cakes and then adding the rosettes. What do you all think?

Oh, and has anyone done gold leaf on swiss meringue buttercream? I was planning to do apply it to fondant but then I got to thinking about maybe just doing it right on the swiss meringue buttercream? Has anyone tried it and had success doing it on SMBC? I have some extra silver leaf from another cake I did, I may try it for fun and see how it works. (that's an expensive 'for fun' experiment, lol)

Thanks ahead of time! :)

10 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 26 Nov 2016 , 4:14am
post #2 of 11

I'd stack them first and then do the gold leafs. Then pipe the rosettes. I've done gold leafs on smbc and it works but you have to keep the cake really really cold otherwise you get indentations. 

SugarMama5 Posted 27 Nov 2016 , 12:32am
post #3 of 11

That's good thinking. I'm thinking I should do fondant then. It'll be a pain to have to stop and refrigerate the cake as it starts to come to room temp. Although, it would be a bit of a  time saver to just do it on the SMBC. ?? 

julia1812 Posted 27 Nov 2016 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 11

How about ganache? That dries hard enough to handle. Or american buttercream?

SugarMama5 Posted 29 Nov 2016 , 5:32am
post #5 of 11

I wonder how well it would work on ganache?? I'm not sure. I've only done silver leaf on fondant before. That's a good question. I wonder if anyone else has tried it on ganache? Or American buttercream?

julia1812 Posted 29 Nov 2016 , 6:19am
post #6 of 11

Gold and silver leafs stick to literally everything that is wet. So after your ganache has dried (important to avoid indentations) brush it with a thin coat of jam, simple syrup or water to apply the silver sheets. I hardly ever use american buttercream so haven't tried with that but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd probably use a brush to apply the leafs as ambc is softer than ganache when dry.

julia1812 Posted 29 Nov 2016 , 6:34am
post #7 of 11

Here's what I found on youtube 

SugarMama5 Posted 1 Dec 2016 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 11

I definitely see why stacking before doing the gold is important! Can you imagine trying to stack it with the gold attached already? I just think it would be a disaster. 

Thanks for sharing the YouTube video. That's an interesting look they did with the gold leaf. 

SugarMama5 Posted 21 Dec 2016 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 11

It was my son's birthday and I decided to try it out on smbc. (I had some extra silver leaf from a different cake project.) I did it when the cake was cold- it had been in the fridge for the entire night. It totally worked! I'd do it again that way for sure. May as well cut out the extra step with fondant. [postimage id="6152" thumb="900"]

SugarMama5 Posted 8 Jan 2017 , 6:03am
post #10 of 11

[postimage id="6213" thumb="900"][postimage id="6214" thumb="900"]

SugarMama5 Posted 8 Jan 2017 , 6:07am
post #11 of 11

I finished the cake! I'm happy with how it turned out. I ended up using smbc for the gold leaf tiers. So glad I did! It was worth cutting out the fondant step! And I stacked the cake and decorated while it was stacked. Thanks for the advice/help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%