So What Did You Make For Thanksgiving?

Lounge By Pastrybaglady Updated 2 Dec 2016 , 1:00am by Marian64

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 24 Nov 2016 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 34

Happy Thanksgiving all you amazing bakers! What did you make? I'd love to see you post your favorite dishes. I'm still working on my pies and bread today but I made a cake earlier.

[postimage id="5790" thumb="900"]

33 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 25 Nov 2016 , 12:00am
post #2 of 34

@Pastrybaglady ‍ your cake is very nice.  I like the writing style that you piped.

We supported our local small business & the young people working on the holiday again this year.  I let them make the goodies for us. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Nov 2016 , 1:46am
post #3 of 34

Thanks @MBalaska ‍ Here are my pies and bread. I saw turkey bread online and just HAD to try it!

[postimage id="5791" thumb="900"]

[postimage id="5792" thumb="900"]

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 25 Nov 2016 , 5:03am
post #4 of 34

Hubby and I both volunteered to work today since it's just the 2 of us and our fur babies so I didn't have time to make anything this year.

Big plans for next year though. Love the turkey bread! 

XavierCoppa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
XavierCoppa Posted 25 Nov 2016 , 6:05am
post #5 of 34

So good. I can't make a cake. But i send some AmoLink thank you cards in different languages to my family and friends.  Hope all friends in cakecentral will be better and better, happy every day. Happy Thanksgiving. 

feaa2ec7a6ef9e75a5f2e8cb6b79a6cf.jpg

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 25 Nov 2016 , 7:21am
post #6 of 34

That is the 1st turkey bread I've seen and it's really cool.  What a brilliant idea.

Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Nov 2016 , 7:57am
post #7 of 34

@MBalaska ‍ What a great idea to support local small business! I thought the turkey bread was hilarious when I first saw it. It was fun to cut up and pass out the legs and wings!

@jgifford ‍ Where did you volunteer? That's a really wonderful thing to do!

@XavierCoppa ‍ It's Thanksgiving and I have never ever thought of sending thank you cards to friends and family! That is such an amazing idea. Nice cards!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2016 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 34

pbl --the cake is lovely, lovingly done and thoughtful

mba --supporting others buying their goods is warm and wonderful

pbl --the turkey bread is stupendous so very like you to make something so unique yet down to earth 

jg--the working so others can enjoy is an intreasurable* gift -- *I made  up the word it's a la 'invaluable' but you gave a treasure 

xc -- the cards are so thoughtful and beautiful -- great idea

i made a few red velvet whoopie pies specifically for my son-in-law, a ton of fall leaf decorated chocolate covered strawberries for main dessert -- thought that was a better choice than the usual heavier stuff -- sweet potato mini muffins with streusel topping -- some of the streuseling looked a little amoeba-ish ha! -- then I also made some apricot roll up cookies 

and that is a fraction of what I used to put out -- I did have everything ready for a cornucopia, the mold and the dead dough but my hand gave out -- no worries -- I got all the edibles done

we had a real sweet time with real sweet family and friends

best to all from terrific tennessee

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 25 Nov 2016 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 34

@Pastrybaglady ‍ I love the turkey bread what a fun idea. The pies and cake look good too.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. 

I made pies, pumpkin, cherry, mincemeat, pecan and a chocolate bourbon pecan pie. I couldn't find all of my pie plates and my late run to the store on Wednesday only turned up 9" disposable cake pans. 

[postimage id="5794" thumb="900"]

Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Nov 2016 , 6:58pm
post #10 of 34

@-K8memphis ‍ Sounds like you did a lot, where are the pictures?

@Marian64 ‍ Wow, you really went to town with all those pies! Love your pilgrim turkey!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2016 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 34

pbl -- my take-a-picture bucket sprung a leak when the cornucopia eluded my grasp --oops guess i didn't take any :) i was pleased i got to make a bunch of stuff -- our hostess said, "i want everyone to take home plates full of all the leftovers ... except the strawberries." ha! better than a picture

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Nov 2016 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 34

All I was allowed to make was the sweet potatoes and dressing :(   We bought a pre-roasted chicken.  Daughter made her different versions of green bean casserole; cranberry sauce; gravy.  Then w/o asking/saying a word to me she gave all the leftovers - enought for 3 meals! - to our guest :(   There are no leftovers for me/us to enjoy.  I'm not a happy camper. 

Marian64 Posted 26 Nov 2016 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 34

@kakeladi ‍ I can't help but laugh. It reminds me of the story my momma tells. Her first Thanksgiving after she married my dad they went to his mother'/ and she was to nervous to eat (he hadn't told his family he got married). She wasn't to worried because she was going to her parents that evening, but my aunt invite all her friends and there was nothing left. So no matter where we went after that she always made her own Thanksgiving dinner. Leftovers are the best part after all.

jgifford Posted 26 Nov 2016 , 7:49pm
post #14 of 34

Hubby and I both work for a gigantic new entertainment complex that just opened here~ employs around 300. Lots of high school kids and young parents.

He's the one everybody looks for when something isn't working like it should and I get to greet and assist every single person who walks through the door. Kind of an odd position for someone who doesn't like people. At all. I deal very well with the public, I just don't like them.

Well, thinking that yesterday was Black Friday and all, there was a skeleton staff scheduled. O! M! G!  About 2 pm there was a major explosion of people. I ended up working a double and we finally got to bed at 4 this morning.

The best thing about my job is watching the kids come in and their jaws drop. And we see lots of absolutely adorable kids. Can't wait till Christmas! 

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 26 Nov 2016 , 9:00pm
post #15 of 34

We made pies like crazy.. around 604! 171 more than last year..

Marian64 Posted 26 Nov 2016 , 9:21pm
post #16 of 34

Oh my @TheItalianBaker ‍ that is a lot of pies!

Pastrybaglady Posted 26 Nov 2016 , 9:36pm
post #17 of 34

@kakeladi ‍ No leftovers! What a travesty! My brother is always in charge of the bird. One year it wasn't big enough and everyone was unhappy. Since then he been getting big birds but this year they were all gone at Costco so he bought two 10 pounders to compensate. More legs, wings and carcass for everyone!

@jgifford ‍  You actually volunteered where you work? Wow, that was really generous! 

@TheItalianBaker ‍ 604 really is a crazy amount of pie!

TheItalianBaker Posted 26 Nov 2016 , 11:04pm
post #18 of 34

I know it is!!!!

In this pic you can see about half of the orders I got this year.. we have been working overnight to fill them all!

[postimage id="5801" thumb="900"]

jgifford Posted 27 Nov 2016 , 6:39am
post #19 of 34

Y'all are so sweet but don't get the wrong idea~ we got paid for working. We just wanted to let the folks with little ones and family coming in have the day off. 

They told us when we started not to count on having any holidays off so we were kinda in that mindset already.

And I thought I did really good the year I made 12 pies. Wow. I think ItalianBaker wins that one.

Vanitycakes.ca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanitycakes.ca Posted 27 Nov 2016 , 5:54pm
post #20 of 34

Canadian Thanksgiving was last month here. Here are some buttercream cakes we did!

2mq6sfs.jpg

e86czr.jpg

esp3zo.jpg

Fall scrolling:

2hzpd2o.jpg

and these cute little fondant cupcake toppers!

2annnn.jpg

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Nov 2016 , 10:25pm
post #21 of 34

How many people helped you TheItalianBaker?  That is such a HUGE # of orders - Congrats - for the # and for getting them all done!         

Vanitycakes.ca: your cakes and toppers are soooo well done.           

Pastrybaglady Posted 28 Nov 2016 , 1:28am
post #22 of 34

@Vanitycakes.ca ‍ I LOVE the writing on your cakes! Teach me, teach me! The fondant toppers are perfect as well, just beautiful work.

TheItalianBaker Posted 28 Nov 2016 , 1:45am
post #23 of 34

We are only two!

Marian64 Posted 28 Nov 2016 , 1:56am
post #24 of 34

Wow @TheItalianBaker ‍ that is a lot of pies for two people. 

@Vanitycakes.ca ‍ I agree the writing is perfect and I love the flowers. So pretty and fall looking and the toppers are adorable.

Pastrybaglady Posted 28 Nov 2016 , 2:25am
post #25 of 34

Two people made 604 pies in how many days? I can't even imagine how  pounds of dough and filling you went through!

TheItalianBaker Posted 28 Nov 2016 , 2:41am
post #26 of 34

We start 10 days ahead and start making the shells for the pumpkin and pecan pies. They all go in the freezer. Then we do all the fruit pies and freeze them too so the day before baking we make all the fillings and bake overnight. I can bake about 60 pies at the time, so it took a lot..

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 1 Dec 2016 , 4:19pm
post #27 of 34

Wow some really fabulous cakes here - tremendous  job everyone!  

I decided one of my desserts would go on the table right away - as a laugh! The brown gravy is caramel sauce and of course the mashed potatoes are buttercream! 

[postimage id="5824" thumb="900"]

Marian64 Posted 1 Dec 2016 , 5:15pm
post #28 of 34

@theresaf ‍ I love your mash potatoes and gravy cake.  May try that next year.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 1 Dec 2016 , 5:22pm
post #29 of 34

Thank you @Marian64 - it's all in the presentation! 

T

Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Dec 2016 , 6:33pm
post #30 of 34

@theresaf ‍ They would have looked great on my table next to my bread turkey! It would have been a carb-fest!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%