Help! Will The Weight Of This Cause The Cake To Crush Itself?

Baking By jleefoss Updated 17 Nov 2016 , 7:52pm by Bakerlady2

jleefoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleefoss Posted 15 Nov 2016 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 7
I was just getting ready to start baking a cake for a birthday and I got to thinking it may be a problem for me. 

The cake is for a big beer fan. Specifically, Genesee Beer (he's lives in Rochester NY, which is where that beer is made.)  I was going to make a cake to look like a case of beer.  It needs to serve 40 people so it needed to be fairly big.  I was planning to use my 11 x 15 pan and to have it be 3 or 4 layers high (about the height of a can).  Since it wouldn't be a tiered cake, there isn't any way for me to use boards and dowels.  One layer would be directly on top of the other.  Do you think the cake will sink into itself from the weight?  Any suggestions?  

Thanks for any help you can give.

6 replies
mat5471 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mat5471 Posted 16 Nov 2016 , 12:51am
post #2 of 7

I don't see a problem at all...I've done multi=layer cakes with no problems....its all one shape so should be fine...you could just make two layers from 3 inch cake pans and split those to have the height from the frosting put between, torting it to get the height....i have used the 12 x 18 pan double layer and that can be split through middle and stacked also...cutting in half and then torting too...good luck...

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 Nov 2016 , 1:32am
post #3 of 7

The rule of thumb is to use separators and boards for every four inches of cake height.

mat5471 Posted 16 Nov 2016 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 7

Yes but she doesn't have any other weight on top, its just simple layered cake...not a stacking kind for tiered ...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Nov 2016 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 7

Still cake can not support unlimited weight, and that has nothing to do with tiers.  I'm uncertain how tall this is going to be.  3 or 4  11x15 layers, if each is 2" tall will be one tall cake!  And obviously would feed more than 40.  Maybe each layer will only be about an 1"?

mat5471 Posted 17 Nov 2016 , 12:00am
post #6 of 7

I know it has nothing to do with tiers...i said that...she said as tall as a beer can so that is easy enough to do....torting it and frosting in between layers can create the height quite well especially if using 3 inch pans to bake...

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 17 Nov 2016 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 7

I make 3 layer cakes often with no support and they work out fine. A cake this size will feed  more than 40 people like leah_s said.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%