Bamboo Cutting Board Problem, Please Help

Lounge By ginajrm Updated 12 Nov 2016 , 10:19pm by GrumpyMike

ginajrm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginajrm Posted 12 Nov 2016 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone, I could not find a solution to my problem so I thought I would ask everyone here.

I received a set of Bamboo cutting boards as a wedding present and would really love to use them the problem is they were treated with vinegar.

I am allergic to vinegar so I tried everything to eliminate the smell and hopefully traces of vinegar with it.

The problem is every time I search google "How to get rid of Vinegar smell" it tells me how great vinegar is for getting things clean.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to handle this?

3 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 12 Nov 2016 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 4

Why would they have been cleaned with vinegar before you received them?

You could try lemon juice... but that is also acidic...

Have you tried a baking soda paste?  it is alkaline, reacts with vinegar, and also cleans...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2016 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 4

I don't have any idea how food safe it is but what works well for other smells is a product called - don'tremember exactly how to spell it  - but pronounces  as Oh-zee-um.  It takes cigerette smoke out of a room, even a mattress :)

GrumpyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrumpyMike Posted 12 Nov 2016 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 4

Ozium is a brand of air freshener sometimes called glycol-ized air sanitizer because the main ingredient is  glycol turned into a fine mist while spraying.  It is great for reducing air born odors such as cigarette smoke, but it can be problematic if inhaled - especially for anyone with breathing problems (asthma, infants, elderly, etc.).  Doesn't work for beans getting odors out of surfaces or deeper.

Best way to eliminate a natural odor like vinegar is to put it outside in the sun for a day or two.  Another method already pointed out by AAtKT is baking soda.  I'd try a slurry and let is soak on the board overnight and then just rinse it off.

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%