Toba's Glace Icing

Baking By fat-sissy Updated 26 Feb 2007 , 10:53pm by karensue

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 28

Could someone share this recipe with me?

27 replies
fat-sissy Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 28

Never mind. Googled it and fount it.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 28

It's the same as the Wilton's poured cookie icing.
For those who don't know, here's a link...
http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/cookierecipes/pouredcookie.cfm

fat-sissy Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:54am
post #4 of 28

Ok cookie experts. I ended up using the Wilton recipe because I didn't need a large amt of icing. The recipe calls for 1c powdered sugar and 2 tsp of water and 2 tsp of corn syrup. Is that a typo? Should it be 2 tbsp? Because that was UNBELIEVABLE thick! I used alot of add'l corn syrup to thin it down.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:03am
post #5 of 28
7yyrt Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 28

Jan, that's different than the one someone posted as Toba's a while back. Is your link the correct recipe? I've been using the other one...

I just did the math - When you divide it down, it comes to 1 1/2 teaspoons each liquid per cup of powdered sugar instead of 2 teaspoons each. Man, I thought the Wilton's was thick! I think I'll stick with Wiltons, you have to thin it down for flooding, anyway.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 28

When I make this (I always used the Wilton's) I ALWAYS add more liquid. I think mine said to add 2-3 tsp. of milk & 2-3 tsp. of cornsyrup. I make it with the 3 tsp., and if I need it thicker (for outling or writing) I just add a bit more powdered sugar. I like that you can make as little or as much as you need, just remembering that's it's an equal amount of each liquid.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 28

i always use toba's. i used the recipe straight from the book only i doubled it because it always seems i never have enough. anywho...i use 2 lbs powdered sugar, 3/4 c milk, 3/4 c corn syrup, 1 t vanilla, and 1 t almond. this gives me the flood consistency. i then have to add powdered sugar to each bowl after i color to give me the outline. at work we decorate with royal and it seems to be the opposite. they use a powder. you make the outline then water down to get the flood. i heard you can add corn syrup to royal so it's not so brittle but does anyone know how much. also how much flavoring i can add

fat-sissy Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 28

The recipe I have for Toba's is the same as the one Jan linked. It's 1lb conf sugar, 3/8c milk and 3/8 c corn syrup. 3/8 c = 6 tbsp. So if there are appx 4c sugar per pound, then that would calculate out to adding 1 1/2 tbsp per cup. That's WAY different than 2 tsp per cup. No wonder it was so thick!

7yyrt Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 28

Who would have thought that small amount would change the consistancy so drastically?
In any case, I guess that's why they say " thin it to your desired consistancy"
LET'S ALL MAKE COOKIES!

fat-sissy Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 28

This was my first time using it, so I wasn't sure how thin it should be for filling. I know it's hard to answer this, but how thin should you make it? I added alot of corn syrup to mine to thin it, but it was still thick enough that I had to spread it with a spatula and took a great deal of pressure to squeeze it out of my bag. I used a 5 tip for the filling. I just wanted to try something new. I expected it to be similar to royal. I'm just trying to figure out which frosting I like the best for cookies!

Also how hard will it dry. I did them late last night and the icing is firm, but not hard. It dents easily with pressure. Does it get harder as it sits longer.

I used it for the business card cookies in my photo album.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:33pm
post #12 of 28

It never gets hard, just firm to the touch, which I like. I usually pipe with a #3 and then use an off-set spatula to smooth it out. Any spatula marks blend while it sits. You shouldn't have to use a ton of pressure to get it to flow in, but how thin you want it will be a personal preference. I don't want it too thin, or it will run right off the cookie.

kneadacookie Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:43pm
post #13 of 28

fat-sissy i think i'm getting confused. when you first mixed your glaze it was very thick. so was that what you used as outline icing? and then you thinned it with corn syrup to use as the fill icing? is that right? maybe you should thin it with milk or water. when i mix, it's so thin that's what i use for the fill then add powdered sugar for the outline. also, i use chocolate squeeze bottles for the fill icing. i hope that helps at all. good luck

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:52pm
post #14 of 28

I also double the recipe from what is listed in the book (as mentioned by kneadacookie)--2 lbs powdered sugar, 3/4 c milk, 3/4 c corn syrup, 1 t vanilla. This is a nice thin consistency for flooding. Then you add powdered sugar to get the outlining version.

My icing dried nicely overnight so that they could then be stacked, but not really hard like royal icing can sometimes.

kneadacookie Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:54pm
post #15 of 28

you won't lose a tooth with toba's

fat-sissy Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:41pm
post #16 of 28

Kneadacookie-
I mixed a cup of sugar w/2 tsp milk and then I added 2 tsp corn syrup. It was like putty, too thick to do anything with except maybe mold something. So I just added more corn syrup until it was of piping consistency and did my outling with it; then thinned it even more (w/corn syrup) to fill with. I think I'll try it again and use the ratio's in Toba's recipe instead of the Wilton recipe. I like the idea of using a squeeze bottle. Good tip!

I'm trying to decide my preferred cookie icing. I think fondant has probably been the easiest so far.

Also noticed we share the same birthday!

kneadacookie Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:53pm
post #17 of 28

i have yet to try the fondant. with all the great cookies i've seen i'm can't wait to try. i went into your album...i love the santa cupcake cake. so cute!!

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 7:53pm
post #18 of 28

Hi everyone!

I would love to try the famous Toba's recipe this weekend as I have some cookies to do for Valentines day. Can anyone tell me if this icing hardens? Also what kind of flavorings can be added & 1 last question, how many cups of icing sugar is in a lb? icon_redface.gif

TIA
Jovigirl

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 7:55pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovigirl

Hi everyone!

I would love to try the famous Toba's recipe this weekend as I have some cookies to do for Valentines day. Can anyone tell me if this icing hardens? Also what kind of flavorings can be added & 1 last question, how many cups of icing sugar is in a lb? icon_redface.gif

TIA
Jovigirl

I can help you with the last question -- it takes 4 Cups of 10X confectioners sugar to make 1lb.

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:07pm
post #20 of 28

Jovigirl--The icing does harden for wrapping/stacking, but it did take longer. (I did mine in the evening, then by the next morning they were good for stacking.) As for flavorings, I flavored my cookies with Chai Coffee Creamer, so I only put vanilla in the icing. (The cookies I did are in my pictures.) I really liked this icing! HTH icon_smile.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:08pm
post #21 of 28

I made the wilton recipe a while back, It seemed really sticky for a lond time. Was it too thick, is that why it was sticky even after it dried?

jovigirl Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:52pm
post #22 of 28

Thanks for the answers! I was thinking of adding maybe a little lemon extract to the icing? Has anyone tried this b4?

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:54pm
post #23 of 28

I'm not a fan of the lemon extract at all -- I find it leaves a weird taste and stranger aftertaste. You can use any extract or flavoring you like though, this icing would be a good base for it.

jovigirl Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:59pm
post #24 of 28

Tx Bobwonderbuns!

angkimbrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angkimbrell Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 2:22pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneadacookie

i always use toba's. i used the recipe straight from the book only i doubled it because it always seems i never have enough. anywho...i use 2 lbs powdered sugar, 3/4 c milk, 3/4 c corn syrup, 1 t vanilla, and 1 t almond. this gives me the flood consistency. i then have to add powdered sugar to each bowl after i color to give me the outline. at work we decorate with royal and it seems to be the opposite. they use a powder. you make the outline then water down to get the flood. i heard you can add corn syrup to royal so it's not so brittle but does anyone know how much. also how much flavoring i can add

Quote:
Quote:

Hi kneadacookie,
Toba's recipe you listed is very different that the one listed on ladycakes.com(who listed it a Toba Garret's cookie glaze.)
The recipe there is 1lb 10x confectioner's sugar, 3/8 C milk and
light corn sryup and extracts to taste. The ladycakes recipe sounds
really runny compared to yours.

I am going to try yours, since I am more apt to believe this site over another. Can you tell me what 10x sugar is? Is that the refinement of it? Can I find it at a grocery store?

TIA, Angie

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:25pm
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by angkimbrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneadacookie

Quote:
Quote:

Hi kneadacookie,
Toba's recipe you listed is very different that the one listed on ladycakes.com(who listed it a Toba Garret's cookie glaze.)
The recipe there is 1lb 10x confectioner's sugar, 3/8 C milk and
light corn sryup and extracts to taste. The ladycakes recipe sounds
really runny compared to yours.

I am going to try yours, since I am more apt to believe this site over another. Can you tell me what 10x sugar is? Is that the refinement of it? Can I find it at a grocery store?

TIA, Angie

10x sugar is confectioners or powdered sugar which has been sifted 10 times (hence the name 10x.) There is also a 6x sugar, etc. but the 10x is the best. I find Dominos brand is the best personally. You can buy it in the sugar/baking aisle of any grocery store. It comes in a 1 lb box (yellow) or a 2 lb. bag. Hope that helps!! icon_smile.gif

angkimbrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angkimbrell Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 10:45pm
post #27 of 28

I did not think of that!! I tried Toba's cookie glaze this weekend, and I love it. I painted it on just to try that method. For a few cookies, it was fine. I mixed them alittle too dark, will post the pics tomorrow.
Anyway, can you use the glaze in a chocolate bottle to flood the cookie, and should I outline with thicker icing and then flood? What do you do? ANgie

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 10:53pm
post #28 of 28

I use Toba's recipe, too, but I make it a little thicker so that I don't have to outline the cookie. Saves a time-consuming step. I just get as close to the edge as possible--that's why it needs to be a little thicker. Check my pics so you can see what I mean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%