Vent Vent Vent. And A Bit Of Advice.

Business By kkforster Updated 10 Nov 2016 , 4:21pm by -K8memphis

kkforster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkforster Posted 10 Nov 2016 , 1:06am
post #1 of 9

In late September I was contacted by a "friend of a friend of my mother in law" about doing a cake for a baby shower. This woman was strange from the get-go on the phone. She asked for my pricing, I stated what I charge per serving and the different circumstances which may increase the price. My mother in law had shown me a photo of what the woman wanted. I told her based on the photo and a basic cake flavor that the price would be $150 for 50 servings. (two tier, fondant deco on buttercream). She moaned and groaned about the price, and I said "I completely understand if it's not in your budget, please give me a call back if you decide you'd like me to make this cake" - she agrees.  Calls me back 2 weeks later saying she wants me to make it. Asked her what flavors she wanted -- "oh i don't know, whatever you think" - I said, WELL we have a week before i REALLY need your flavor choices, why don't you give it some thought? She then said she doesn't have any idea what the mother-to-be even likes. WHATEVER. she then moans and groans over my delivery charge - I will deliver within 10 miles of my home, and every mile over and above that is $1 round trip (to try to discourage HUGE commutes for small cakes). She insists that the venue is right across the bridge - well within my free delivery area. okay FINE. so another week goes by, it is now Friday, 9 days before the event. I ask her for a final count - its now 36 rather than 50. I tell her that just so she's aware, that if she doesn't have a flavor picked out I would do vanilla cake with vanilla bean buttercream. SHE MOANS AND GROANS! "Oh no! well let me call the girls mother and see what her favorite flavor is." FINE BUT I NEED TO KNOW ASAP.  i called her Monday, no answer. Tuesday, no answer. Wednesday she finally calls me back and says she lost my number (guess my messages with my phone number didn't get to her??) and she's SO glad i called. *eye roll* -- says the girl likes chocolate cake with raspberry filling and vanilla buttercream. Okay great. I expect payment upon delivery. "oh well I won't be to the party until after it starts. i'll put a check in the mail to you that day because i want to see the cake first" - at this point I'm flabbergasted. Never had someone with the audacity of this woman.  I figured since my mother in law somehow knows her I would cut her some slack. The morning of the delivery I put the venue address into my phone (i thought i knew where it was prior to this) - turns out its 27 MILES AWAY which due to the mountains works out to an HOUR. I'm super mad at this point. I print up an invoice, charging her for delivery and deliver the cake. I hand the "woman in charge" my invoice and she says in a surprised tone "SHE DIDN'T PAY YOU!?" and i said no - she said she wanted to see it first but i have another appointment and cannot wait for her.  The event was on a Sunday, I waited until Tuesday to call her. Left her a message Tues, Wed and finally at 9pm on Thursday she calls me raving about the cake - it was "delicious, fantastic, exactly what they wanted" - I ask if she's put the check in the mail because i haven't received it. "Oh well I will put it in the mail NEXT WEDNESDAY because i'm a little short this week, is that okay?" (like i'm going to say NO).....so the following thurs...friday...saturday...monday...no check. I started calling on Sunday and left a message daily until she finally called back Tuesday claiming she lost my invoice AND MY NUMBER again and that she will fill out the check on the phone with me and put it in the mail. So no check today, hopefully tomorrow??

I guess the point of this rant is to encourage others to ALWAYS have a contract, ALWAYS get a deposit and ALWAYS demand payment prior to delivery. This is the last time I'll be taken advantage of. 

8 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 10 Nov 2016 , 4:35am
post #2 of 9

Did you ever get a check? Yes, I agree that you should receive payment at lease one week before making cake. I remember I got a woman to do an anniversary cake for my mom and dad for about 300 people for a party. I went and paid the woman each week and had it paid for about one and 1/2 week before I got the cake.

To get money first from customer is a must!!! When people are hard to deal with sometimes you go with your gut and refuse their order. I think everyone here has been in this situation at one time or another. Stick to your guns for future orders and get money first with contract to cover yourself!! Hang in there!!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 10 Nov 2016 , 5:38am
post #3 of 9

Well...lesson learned I would say. Sorry that happened! But I'm surprised you even started baking without a down payment 8○. And that you left the cake at the venue without receiving the full amount. I think we all still believe in the good in people sometimes . ..

Jenmarlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmarlene Posted 10 Nov 2016 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 9

i would of been beyond furious, it sounded sketchy from the beginning. 

kkforster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkforster Posted 10 Nov 2016 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 9

Like I said - never again!! I've always been teased about being too trusting with people and I feel guilty being firm with customers if they have ties (however thin) to my family.  But man oh man. I am done!

Jenmarlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmarlene Posted 10 Nov 2016 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 9

i will call her everyday asking her for me money. 

srichmond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srichmond Posted 10 Nov 2016 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 9

I'd fill out small claims paperwork and email them to her saying if you can't pick up CASH today on the way to the courthouse, you will indeed sue her.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 10 Nov 2016 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 9

Quote by @kkforster on 1 hour ago

Like I said - never again!! I've always been teased about being too trusting with people and I feel guilty being firm with customers if they have ties (however thin) to my family.  But man oh man. I am done!

I used to be the same.

Look at it like that...you're not a restaurant where people eat before they pay...you're running a business. And friends/ties or not, anyone being honest will pay in full or make a down payment without raising an eyebrow. If not your alarm bells should start ringing.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Nov 2016 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 9

i know you get this but being firm is not unfriendly -- so its good that this hopefully is behind you and you will take better care of yourself going forward because nobody else will if you don't, right?

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%