Friday Night Cake Club 10/28/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 7 Nov 2016 , 3:33am by DormCat

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Oct 2016 , 2:36am
post #1 of 28

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if possible. Hoping to see lots of new creations this week!

Cat

27 replies
Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 29 Oct 2016 , 3:24am
post #2 of 28

Hi Cat happy belated birthday!

I just finished icing a wedding cake for tomorrow. Need to finish wiring some of the flowers. Will finish it tomorrow, after I deliver it and get pictures. I was hoping for cooler weather as it is about an hour away at least it isn't 100.

Hope everyone has a productive weekend. Looking forward to seeing everyone's cakes.

catlharper Posted 29 Oct 2016 , 4:10am
post #3 of 28

Thank you @Marian64 ‍ ! It was a really nice week! Can't wait to see your cake...sorry to hear that you are dealing with heat. Not a cake makers friend. SIGH.

We were going to have a Halloween party here, my daughter doing all the cooking and party prep while I work, but her son, our grandson, came down sick this afternoon so we had to cancel. So now my only plans are to hang out this weekend after work and then our work party on Monday. 

Cat

renadamc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renadamc Posted 29 Oct 2016 , 6:32am
post #4 of 28

A friend of mine is having a Halloween party and asked me to make some witch themed cupcakes. I have some great ideas for the decorations but I'm having a hard time getting a cupcake consistency like I want it. I used a recipe from sallysbakingaddiction.com,  which involved adding the yolks separately and whipping the whites until they had soft peaks and folding them in at the end. The cupcakes had a nice buttery flavor, but they were almost too fluffy for my taste, I like a bit more density. So tomorrow I'm going to try the same recipe but add the eggs whole instead of separating and whipping the whites and see if that makes it a bit more dense. The recipe uses all purpose flour, does anyone have any other ideas on how I can make them a bit more dense, other than keeping the eggs together? Thanks All!

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 29 Oct 2016 , 6:43am
post #5 of 28

Hello everyone! my assistant GM at work is having his Halloween party at his house tomorrow night and I decided to make another zombie brain cake to bring to it. Had a late start today so got home late, so i had MIL bake the cake and i've got the candy mold attempt #2 in the fridge now (the first one cracked a chunk near the edge) and i'll finish putting it together tomorrow . That's about all the cake stuff I have going on right now.

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 29 Oct 2016 , 6:56am
post #6 of 28

No Halloween cake for me!!! This was a photo album/ scrap book cake for a 60th birthday I've only just finished it they're picking it up today!!

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 29 Oct 2016 , 6:57am
post #7 of 28

[postimage id="5498" thumb="900"]

renadamc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renadamc Posted 29 Oct 2016 , 7:01am
post #8 of 28

Quote by @shellbell181 on 1 minute ago

900_friday-night-cake-club-10_9360015814487535712.jpg

That is so cool! Very realistic. :-)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 29 Oct 2016 , 8:35am
post #9 of 28

@shellbell181 ‍ that is a seriously cool cake. Wow!!!

I didn't do a halloween cake this year for my kids' school as I was honestly too busy. My youngest decided to go as "Edward with the scissor hands" and I made his costume all diy (he on first price - yeah!), my oldest wanted a knife in his head and fake blood (all diy) and i went as a broken doll with freaky face paint (big droopy eyes, open fake mouth...yes diy LOL) AND I had a cake order for a today, a 4kg VW hippy style camper van. So I made some "chocolate kisses" for school with are a very popular in Germany  (Google "Dickmann's" if you're interested as I or got to take picture). It's homemade marshmallow fluff piped onto round waffles and glazed with dark chocolate. I left it in the fridge a bit oo long so it wasn't easy to pipe but they tasted delicious :)

julia1812 Posted 29 Oct 2016 , 8:37am
post #10 of 28

[postimage id="5499" thumb="900"]

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 29 Oct 2016 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 28

Pretty happy how it turned out

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 29 Oct 2016 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 28

Grrr here's the picture [postimage id="5503" thumb="900"]

catlharper Posted 30 Oct 2016 , 2:51am
post #13 of 28

Great cakes this week! LOVE the "bus" @julia1812 ‍  and ElizabethsCakeCreations love your Frozen cake! @shellbell181 ‍ great idea for the photo album! Hope to see some Halloween cakes this week too!

Cat

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 30 Oct 2016 , 3:21am
post #14 of 28

Thanks cat!

julia1812 Posted 30 Oct 2016 , 3:43am
post #15 of 28

@Marian64 ‍ How did it go with the wedding cake? Hope temperatures cooled down a bit...

Marian64 Posted 30 Oct 2016 , 2:18pm
post #16 of 28

[postimage id="5510" thumb="900"]

Marian64 Posted 30 Oct 2016 , 2:24pm
post #17 of 28

Well it loaded side ways. 

I was pretty happy the way it turned out. If you ever make hydrangeas make tons of extra. They break so easily.

@julia1812 ‍ It was only in the high 80's and I froze to death while I drove, but the cake made it fine. Absolutely love your bus or as my boys would call it the shagging wagon.

@shellbell181 ‍ love the scrapbook cake.

@ElizabethsCakeCreations ‍ love the dozen cake all my nieces are too old old. I would love to do Olaf.

Marian64 Posted 30 Oct 2016 , 2:24pm
post #18 of 28

Well it loaded side ways. 

I was pretty happy the way it turned out. If you ever make hydrangeas make tons of extra. They break so easily.

@julia1812 ‍ It was only in the high 80's and I froze to death while I drove, but the cake made it fine. Absolutely love your bus or as my boys would call it the shagging wagon.

@shellbell181 ‍ love the scrapbook cake.

@ElizabethsCakeCreations ‍ love the dozen cake all my nieces are too old old. I would love to do Olaf.

catlharper Posted 30 Oct 2016 , 3:12pm
post #19 of 28

Oh! @Marian64 ‍ That is simply gorgeous! Your flower work is stunning! And, yes, I was just talking yesterday to a friend about making sugar hydrangeas and how easily the petals break SIGH. 

Cat

julia1812 Posted 30 Oct 2016 , 5:39pm
post #20 of 28

@Marian64 ‍ Hahaha...sagging wagon...that's funny! I love your cake, simply stunning !! And yes, Yikes, breaking flowers sounds horrifying, thanks for thethe tip. And had a giggle reading your post cause I emembered driving my last wedding cake to the venue in the 100s wearing knitted socks and a jumper :D

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 30 Oct 2016 , 9:58pm
post #21 of 28

Great cakes everyone.  @shellbell181 ‍  I love the idea of a photo book for a birthday.  @julia1812 ‍ that Van looks perfect!  And @Marian64 ‍  at first I thought they were fresh flower.  Can’t believe they are gumpaste.  And @ElizabethsCakeCreations ‍  Olaf is is so cute

We had an early Halloween/Saints (football) party today.  I tried one of those Slutty Brownie Cakes.  The cake itself wasn’t the best, but everyone got a kick out of my Mummy Trick-or-Treat Bag.  I was amazed at how easy it was to make.  Just wrap strips of fondant around the cake!  Don’t have to worry about straight sides, flat tops, or bulging middles.

[postimage id="5513" thumb="900"]

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 31 Oct 2016 , 1:14am
post #22 of 28

Well the Halloween party was fun; everyone thought my brain cake was awesome and asked how I did it. He said a lot of people didn't realize it was edible, so not a lot got eaten. I went as Daenerys from Game of Thrones, and hubby was Walter from the anime Hellsing. Halloween is my favorite!

@moreCakePlz ‍ that's really cool!

Marian64 Posted 31 Oct 2016 , 1:59am
post #23 of 28

@moreCakePlz ‍ Thank you. I love your trick or treat mummy bag (and those little  ghost dancing in the background). Mummy's are forgiving of bulging. 

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 31 Oct 2016 , 2:46am
post #24 of 28

@julia1812 ‍ luv the VW.  My fav era.  I know those cookies you're taking about as i get them at base commissary. Unfortunate can't eat just one.

@Marian64 ‍ what a beautiful fall cake. I especially like the buttercream texture-don't have to worry about it being perfectly smooth.

@ElizabethsCakeCreations ‍ very cute.almost makes me wish I knew a little girl to make a frozen cake for. 

@morecakeplease ‍ adorable cake.

@shellbell181 ‍ what a great idea for a cake. 

DormCat Posted 31 Oct 2016 , 3:14am
post #25 of 28

Finally made my first skull cake yesterday for a friends Halloween party. There was room for more decorating but not any more time and i lost a couple prep days due to unexpected lazer eye surgery.  I wasn't sure what I wanted to do so used the colours from the cake plate. Since I have trouble piping used molds which was so much easier. I did have some trouble with  getting the fondant smooth in a couple areas on the back sides and just no extra time to keep messing with them so tried to cover those with decorations best I could. I used the pumpkin spice pound cake recipe that came with the skull pan which tasted pretty good. Used a white chocolate cake recipe for the bottom cake which also tasted good. Overall I was quite pleased with it.[postimage id="5521" thumb="900"][postimage id="5522" thumb="900"]

catlharper Posted 31 Oct 2016 , 4:02am
post #26 of 28

moreCakePlz That is SO cute! I may have to try one for next year!

DormCat  WOW! That turned out amazing!

Great week for cakes!

Cat

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 5:55pm
post #27 of 28

Well I'm a week late in commenting but the cakes were all great so wanted to awknowledge that.  I took a peak at them last wek but just didn't have the time to sit down and comment.

@Marian64 ‍ WOW!! Your wedding cake is gorgeous!! Those flowers....amazing work!

@shellbell181 ‍ Your book cake is so well done.  What a great idea :-) 

@julia1812 ‍ Loving your VW cake! It's perfection!

@ElizabethsCakeCreations ‍ great modeling for Olaf!

@moreCakePlz ‍ Such a cute idea for the mummy trick or treat bag!  Curious to know why you thought the slutty brownie cake wasn't the best.  Just not a fan of the recipe?

@DormCat ‍ great job on your first skull cake! Nice bright colors.  I have found for the "difficult" shaped 3D cakes that a 50/50 mix of fondant/modeling chocolate is much easier to work with as it blends into itself better so no creases etc.

DormCat Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 3:33am
post #28 of 28

@kstevens ‍ thanks for the advice on the 50/50. One thing I noticed was when I coloured the purple the fondant had specks of red. I used the Wilton colour right system. And the fondant looks dry although it was very soft and although I don't like fondant i did taste it and wasn't bad. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%