Are Higher Priced Spices Actually Worth It?

Baking By kaybray3 Updated 1 Nov 2016 , 5:21pm by Gerle

kaybray3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaybray3 Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 5

I have been getting my spices ready for the upcoming holidays...the usual ones: Nutmeg, Allspice, Cloves, Cinnamon, etc. and have become extremely annoyed with the prices. If I buy name brand, like McCormick, some of the bottles are $6+!! I went to my local Sharp Shopper (a store that carries off-brand items or ones that are near their expiration date) and they have a huge selection of spices...those prices: $0.99-$2.00! The bottles are larger than McCormick's too. So my question is this: Is there actually a noticable difference in taste if an off-brand is used instead of name brand? I just can't stand the thought of spending over $6 on a tiny bottle that would only last me through 3 or 4 recipes.

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 5

good question --

I buy the really large containers of cinnamon, red pepper flakes, garlic & onion powd --

i sometimes buy the expensive bottles for a particular spice like Saigon cinnamon -- but other than that I buy the bargain brands for most everything else -- I figure they might not be as strong as the high dollar ones but I  just add more --

i just made some chili in fact with a ton of spices and we are loving it -- so while i really don't know the difference besides the money -- it's sure not a problem -- 

btw -- fwiw -- in my chili I also used 'beyond beef' for the first time -- it's a vegetarian product that looks like meat crumbles but it's made out of all vegetable no meat -- was great in there

http://beyondmeat.com/products/view/beefy-crumble

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 30 Oct 2016 , 4:25am
post #3 of 5

I notice a big difference when using premium spices. Although I don't see much of a difference between McCormick and bargain brands. Although they are decent spices, I wouldn't call McCormick premium. If you are happy with the bargain spices, then go for it.

kaybray3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaybray3 Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks ladies, I bought a couple of the bargain spices and made some Spiced Pumpkin with Raisins cookies yesterday and I do not notice a difference. Sometimes my pallet isn't as on-point as I'd like it to be so I enjoy other bakers feedback :) Thanks again!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 5

I've found a difference in cinnamon and vanilla.  I make my own vanilla, and I buy cinnamon sticks and grind them for my own cinnamon.  Other than that, I haven't found a real difference between the brands.  I usually get them from Sam's Club or Costco if I need them in large quantities, otherwise it's usually McCormick from the local store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%