Stacking Tiers Using Styrofoam Spacers

Baking By jgadson Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:07pm by jgadson

jgadson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgadson Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 4:57am
post #1 of 4

Help! I have a 16" Styrofoam base & 14" 2 layer round real cake, 4" high & 8" wide spacer, 10" 2 layer real cake with 4" high & 6" wide spacer, top real cake is 8" 2 layer with 16 as a topper...can someone please tell me if this will work, its my niece's sweet sixteen birthday... Thanks so much...the picture is how I would like to stack my cake, that's not my cake...its beautiful

http://www.cakecentral.com/u/991561/jgadson/gallery#xLBpVVckEYRVIChy.03

3 replies
Persidda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Persidda Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 5:38am
post #2 of 4

Am so hopeful the replies to your question will be a help to me as I have a 3 tier wedding cake to do in a week using styro spacers.  I'm wondering how to ensure all the tiers hold together ie: I can't imagine running a central dowel thru the styro. Also, I intend to use buttercream frosting. How do I insure a smooth finished edge to the "low edge" of the cake, which would often be normally covered in a piped border, or ribbon on regular stacked tiers, but with the smaller spacers, this edge is exposed...

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 6:28am
post #3 of 4

I can't see the photo unfortunately but from what you've described it sounds like your spacers will work just fine.

I usually just dowel the cake beneath the spacer as though I'm stacking a normal cake. I don't use a central dowel through the whole thing. So long as you don't try and use too small a spacer in between tiers it should work fine (as in I wouldn't try to use a 6" diameter spacer under a 14" cake - extreme example but hopefully that makes sense!).

I've stacked buttercream cakes before using spacers - you just need to be careful when handling and stacking and try to stack the cake when it's still really cold. A few little touch ups might be required if you do smudge it but a quick little scrape should do the trick. Usually does the job for me.

Hope that helps  x

jgadson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgadson Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%