Need Help With A Flavor!

Baking By cupkates4you Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 5:29pm by SweetNeddy

cupkates4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupkates4you Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 4:38am
post #1 of 6

So I had a client ask me to make a White Chocolate Frangelico Filling for her cake and an almond buttercream frosting. I hadn't even heard of Frangelico (not a drinker) but i figured i could find something online. Well, there's not much so I'm going to have to improvise on that. I don't care for hazelnut and I really don't like almond (but I've made that before and the hubs says he liked it) and she has no idea what flavor cake she wants because she has never had Frangelico before! Not sure why take this risk with your wedding cake if you've never had it before. I don't even know what to suggest. Is that combination even going to work? She obviously has no idea. Should I be recommending something else? And what flavor cake should I make? She suggested White or White Chocolate Cake but wants me to pick. I have no idea!

5 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 4:46am
post #2 of 6

I would tell her that it's her decision not yours. Sounds like you should do a tasting.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 6:30am
post #3 of 6

Agreed - I'd do a tasting with her just to make sure she likes it.

Sounds like it could be a yummy cake though! I'd probably just do a lovely vanilla cake with it so the flavours of the filling and frosting shine through.

x

cupkates4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupkates4you Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 6

She ordered this cake last minute and is a flight attendant so she's not even around  so I can't do a tasting  

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 6

SMBC or IMBC with Hazelnut praline paste mixed in is delicious.  Add in a little frangelico and it is an over the top filling.  I am not sure about combining hazelnut with almond though (and I love nut flavors).  I would convey your concerns to her that the flavors may not blend and you are concerned that she cannot do a tasting ahead of time.  Maybe she will allow you to do just one or the other or accommodate a tasting (maybe delegate a relative or fiance).  If not you have an email trail with your warning and you are off the hook.  If she wants the original combo, flavor the  frosting very lightly with almond extract and amoretto so it doesn't compete too strongly with the hazelnut filling.  For hazelnut buttercream, add hazelnut extract and frangelico.  That would make a nice combo with hazelnut praline filling.  Good luck!  

SweetNeddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetNeddy Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 6

I agree that almond buttercream will compete with the hazelnut /frangelica. I love Frangelica, but it's very subtle when used as a flavoring. I also think that white chocolate might be too sweet - frangelica is also very sweet. 

A flavor combo I'very done that was very delicious is a white (vanilla) cake with a milk chocolate / frangelica filling (yortma's suggestion of using hazelnut praline sounds amazing) with an Irish Cream buttercream or a coffee buttercream. 

I'very done 2 wedding cakes for out of town brides - no tastings. Everything worked out and the brides were happy to have a baker willing to work via text and email.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%