How Do You Plan Your Cake Orders?

Decorating By YumInMyTum Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:28pm by bluefox1394

YumInMyTum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YumInMyTum Posted 27 Oct 2016 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 4

[postimage id="5483" thumb="900"]I'm currently a full time nursing student, but have picked up baking / crafting as a hobby. Primarily to keep me sane, but also because I enjoy creating. 

I know there's plenty out there with full time jobs & other commitments. So how do you plan & prep for your cakes? 

I'm asking because I have an order for this coming Sunday Nov. 6 & I want to know if it's okay to prebake & if so how to store it.

Here's the cake I''m making. When would you start & how would you break it down? 

Also, how do I get those super sharp edges & where can i find a huge bench scraper? i've only found short ones. 

Thank you so much in advance! I just found this forum & site so I'm excited to be a part of a community that also love to create.

3 replies
bluefox1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluefox1394 Posted 27 Oct 2016 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 4

You could bake, torte and crumb coat each layer and then wrap snugly with plastic wrap and freeze. Pull out the night before they need decorating and let them thaw on the counter (or in the fridge). The picture you posted looks like they are fondant covered, but you could definitely do something similar in colored buttercream with a bench scraper, it just takes practice to get comfortable with either technique you choose. You could decorate the day before and than stack the day of (store in boxes in fridge overnight) or knock it all out decoration wise the day of. 

this is the one i use https://www.amazon.com/Ateco-Bench-Scraper-Dough-Cutter/dp/B002U0LE62/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477589279&sr=8-2&keywords=ateco+bench+scraper

YumInMyTum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YumInMyTum Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 4

Great thank you! How many days in advance do you think I can prebake the cakes? Will this work for cupcakes as well?

bluefox1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluefox1394 Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 4

You can bake and freeze as early as you'd like as long as everything is wrapped tightly. It does work for cupcakes as well, I will usually use an airtight container for them vs individually wrapping them though. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%