Some Questions About Smbc ; Crumb Coat, Filling And Storage

Decorating By Sammylou.xo Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 6:41am by me_me1

Sammylou.xo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammylou.xo Posted 27 Oct 2016 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 4

1) Is SMBC okay to use to CRUMB COAT UNDER FONDANT ?

2) My client does not like chocolate - she would like BC for filling as well - Do you think SMBC tastes good as a filling? (I saw a recipe which also adds a bit of icing sugar- opinion?)

3)I plan on baking the vanilla cake, filling and crumbcoating tonight - that way I can do the fondant decorations tomorrow(friday) and deliver saturday. This is the most important question: Where do I store the crumb coated cake prior to decorating? a) The counter b)the fridge?

4) Where do I store my fondant covered cake? (I was thinking the counter is fine)

3 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 27 Oct 2016 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 4

I only use SMBC.  It's fine as a filling and under fondant.  I always refrigerate my cakes because I think they transport better that way.  Fondant may sweat as it comes to room temp but as long as no one touches it (it will leave a mark) it evaporates and is just fine.

Sammylou.xo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammylou.xo Posted 27 Oct 2016 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 4

so after the cake comes to room temperature there are no issues with the sweating effecting the overall structure of the cake? Just the fondant being a bit "wet" per se?

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 6:41am
post #4 of 4

That's right. I've never had any structural issues or had any decorations fall off after my fondant covered, SMBC filled cake has come up to room temp. It just goes a little tacky to the touch but doesn't have moisture dripping off it and running down the sides or anything like that.

I pop my crumb coated cake (I use SMBC, AMBC or ganache) in the fridge for at least an hour (longer if I have time) before I put my fondant on.

Once fully decorated, I keep the cake in the fridge until the client comes to pick it up just to make transportation easier for them. Or until I deliver it if it's a wedding cake.

x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%