Battle Of The Buttercream Flowers: Swiss Meringue Buttercream Vs American Buttercream

Decorating By BlushCrumbs Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 2:59am by Unlimited

BlushCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlushCrumbs Posted 27 Oct 2016 , 10:20am
post #1 of 2

Hello CakeCentral Community!

I'm new to the baking/decorating world, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a "battle of the buttercreams" question.

Which is better for buttercream flowers: SMBC or ABC? Why??

Oh that's another good question: Buttercream flowers: chill, freeze, or leave out to air dry???

I ask this because I've heard ofa  key term called of "crusting".

But when I made my ABC flowers for the first time, they didn't come out as "creamy" of a texture as i hoped for. As I piped the petals it wasn't as smooth of a flow of buttercream, if that makes any sense. I am not sure where I went wrong but I think maybe I added too much sugar? I used 250g butter to 500-600g of icing sugar. I saw that I could of corrected this by adding milk..but I thought the whole point of flowers was to have a stiff consistency? BUT I will say this, they are great to leave out and air dry for days.

I am about to embark on making my first SMBC flowers in a couple hours and hope it goes well! I'm not sure if it creates a crusting texture though. Nor whether to leave in the fridge or to leave out to air dry.

THANKS EVERYONE!  

1 reply
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 2:59am
post #2 of 2

I like air-dried American buttercream.

For a creamier texture, you can correct it by adding more shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%