A Little Vent....

Lounge By me_me1 Updated 2 Nov 2016 , 6:48pm by Apti

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 27 Oct 2016 , 2:20am
post #1 of 8

I know we've all been there before but I've just had another one....

Why do people think it's okay to ask for a discount??  And not just a small discount, but over $100 off a very detailed and carved 3D cake?

GRRRRRRRRRR!!

7 replies
kyliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliecake Posted 27 Oct 2016 , 9:49am
post #2 of 8

I hear you. I quoted $250 for a replica guitar a couple of weeks ago. The lady talked me down to $230 which i accepted. Plus i went to her house to show her cake pan sizes etc because she couldn't picture it and had had a foot operation. After the details were all finalised, we chatted for a little bit about our children. She then informs me that she paid for her daughter's 6 years of uni and half of her son's $48,000 uni fee! And she screwed me out of $20!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 12:46am
post #3 of 8

There are people that need to haggle or they feel they got taken.  It stinks!!  So it is not the $20 but the play of the haggle game...

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 1:37am
post #4 of 8

@ropalma ‍ has it right. We had a garage sale and were selling a functional kids bike for $5. This one guy was actually trying to haggle with me! I kept telling him no, and that he wasn't going to find a $5 bike anywhere else but he wouldn't just go away. The kids were selling cookies so I finally said if he bought it for $5 I would give him a cookie. He jumped on it! That was so stupid, but unless he "got over on me" he wasn't going to be happy.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 8

@Pastrybaglady--that is hilarious!  

@me_me1   That's called negotiating.  They figure if they don't ask, no discount.  In her case, she asked and got a discount. 

Years ago my brother said something that has stuck with me ever since: " Ask.   The worst they can say is No. "

The other reason they ask is that home cake decorators are notorious for lowering prices rather than losing a sale.  Do you think she would have asked for a discount at a tire store?   Nope.  Next time, look the client in the eye and say, "Would you ask for a discount at a tire store?  This cake is customized edible art which takes an incredible amount of skill to make."   [Then look right into the customer's eyes, smile, and s.h.u.t.  u.p....]

kyliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliecake Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 4:15am
post #6 of 8

Apti - you are so right. I am definitately going to look them in the eye next time. Wish me luck! lol

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 4:19am
post #7 of 8

Oh I did indeed spell out to her that she was asking for custom edible art and that the skill required to pull off her cake is quite considerable. I gave her another option to fit her budget of doing the cake in standard round tiers but with the 'feel' of the cake she wanted which is what she has gone with as her hubby was not prepared to pay up the big bucks.

My time is precious! I'm not working for free  relaxed.png

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 8

me_me1 --GOOD FOR YOU!   Giving her another, less costly option with the "feel" of the more expensive version is perfect business thinking.  Applause!!!  Rah Rah!!  And besides, everyone at her event will be flown away and love the cake you will make.

@kyliecake -- [said in Humphrey Bogart voice]    "here's lookin' at you kid"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%