Good People Still Exist.

Business By Annso Updated 27 Oct 2016 , 6:08pm by julia1812

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 26 Oct 2016 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 5

It has been a very long time since I have posted anything on this site but I just could not keep this experience to myself. It may seem simple to some, but in this dog eat dog world every bit of kindness counts. I live in the Caribbean on the island of Antigua and Barbuda, and the way how cake business run here is very different. I have been making cakes for a few years now, and got connected to a destination wedding planner at a wedding expo late last year. When I first started out I really did not know how to price wedding cakes or cupcakes because I was relatively new to it. The wedding planner however has been in the business for many years and have worked with some of the most talented decorators out there, so she has an Idea of what things cost. After ordering a few small cakes from me, I found that she always sounded shocked when I gave her my pricing, and to be honest I was afraid to charge for the cakes because they were quite small and did not require much decoration,and I did not think that I was as good as the other decorators she worked with. In the photo below is the most recent cake . After charging her $67 U.S for this cake, she decided to sit me down for a talk. She basically told me to raise my prices and get back to her  and that I needed to value my work, she also offered me an extra $50 because she thought my price was too low. She could have used my ignorance to her advantage and continue to accept my pricing but instead she educated and empowered me. I hope this helps someone in some way. 

[postimage id="5480" thumb="900"]

4 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 26 Oct 2016 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 5

Your flowers on the cake are so beautiful!!! You are so lucky to have a true friend such as the wedding planner you describe!!  Many people would just say nothing and continue getting cakes. Wish there were more people in the world such as your friend!!! People  like her make the world a better place!!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 27 Oct 2016 , 12:32am
post #3 of 5

I agree with remnant3333.  Those flowers are gorgeous and you definitely need to increase your prices. 

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 27 Oct 2016 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the compliment Gerle and remnant3333. Indeed we do need more people like her. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 27 Oct 2016 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 5

OMG...65$??? Can I order from you lol? Is that you full time job? You must be working your a** off making those gorgeous cakes and not making any profit! So glad someone sat you down. Bless this lady, she seems to be very nice and honest. Your or is beautiful and you shouldn't make cakes for (almost) free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%