Tried And True Cake Recipe

Baking By Baker8690 Updated 26 Oct 2016 , 5:06pm by A-CupOfTee

Baker8690 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker8690 Posted 26 Oct 2016 , 2:31am
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have a cake recipe they always go to for birthdays etc. A delicious one that holds up well (isn't crumbly and falls apart when iced) chocolate and/or vanilla recipe! 

7 replies
A-CupOfTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A-CupOfTee Posted 26 Oct 2016 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 8

VANILLA CAKE 

•2 c. sugar

•4 lg. eggs

•2 ½ c. flour

•1 c. milk

•1 tsp. vanilla

•2 ¼ tsp baking powder

•¾ c. oil

CHOCOLATE CAKE 

•1 ½ sticks butter

•1 c. brown sugar

•1 c. sugar

•3 lg. eggs

•1 tsp. vanilla 

•1 tsp. coffee

•1½ tsp. baking soda

•1 c. cocoa

•2 c. flour

•1½ c. buttermilk

•1 chocolate pudding

DIRECTIONS

Add each ingredient in the same order as listed

Bake on 350F

Chill before icing

*if you look at my pictures, most of them say if they are chocolate or vanilla...so you can see that they hold up well! Good luck!

A-CupOfTee Posted 26 Oct 2016 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 8

*for the chocolate cake it should say margarine not butter, you could use butter but I like margarine better lol

msalasek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msalasek Posted 26 Oct 2016 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 8

Just to clarify, you just put all the ingredients in the mixer and just mix them at the same time? Seems way too easy!!

A-CupOfTee Posted 26 Oct 2016 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 8

LOL Sorry!  Maybe one day I will try the dump and mix method but for now use what is listed below

Vanilla:

Blend the eggs and sugar, one egg at a time

Alternate adding the flour and milk, starting and ending with the flour. *ex. add 1/2c flour, then add 1/2 c of milk, then flour and so on.

Add the last three ingredients one at a time.

Chocolate:

Blend the butter or margarine with the sugars

Add eggs, one at a time

Add vanilla, coffee, baking soda, cocoa (one at a time of course lol)

Alternate adding the flour and buttermilk, start with buttermilk, end with flour  (as stated above) 

Add 1 packet of instant chocolate pudding

**If you have a stand mixer just let the mixer run on low, after adding everything, just use a spoon and make sure everything is combined. If you have a hand mixer mix after each ingredient is added. Be sure there are NO DRY PATCHES stuck to the bowl.

A-CupOfTee Posted 26 Oct 2016 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 8

Fyi, I use spray butter and flour to coat my pans so the cakes won't stick. But be sure to coat the chocolate cake pan REALLY WELL especially with the flour, that cake is very moist and sometimes has a tendency to stay in the pan, or you could use parchment paper for the chocolate, up to you. Don't forget to chill the cakes before icing.

msalasek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msalasek Posted 26 Oct 2016 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 8

Oh ok makes a lot more sense!! I'm excited to try the recipe! I use a bakers spray to coat my pans and it works like a charm every time. Sometimes flour can be a hassle so I prefer sprays 

A-CupOfTee Posted 26 Oct 2016 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 8

Nice! I use baker's joy as well, but I know some people aren't able to get it where they live. Good luck, let me know how it turns out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%