Coming Back !

Lounge By jhines142 Updated 27 Oct 2016 , 1:37am by -K8memphis

jhines142 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhines142 Posted 25 Oct 2016 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone. My name is Jason, and I have been subscribed here for over a year, however, I wanted to reintroduce myself and try to keep up with an online presence in the cake decorating community. I currently reside in Cincinnati, Ohio, with my fiance and two children. I work as a cake decorator for the largest grocery retailer in the world, (not sure if name dropping is OK). I have been working as a cake decorator for the past 3 years. I look forward to meeting some of you and see where this takes me !

8 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 25 Oct 2016 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 9

Hello Jason  

Welcome to CakeCentral family!!  I am only a hobby baker.  I have learned much on this site and on you tube from the videos. Everyone here is very artistic and talented with cakes. Cake decorating is addicting and is in the blood!! I live in Tennessee. Nice to meet you and look forwards to seeing your comments and experiences with caking!!!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 25 Oct 2016 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 9

I was looking at your cakes and I love the black and silver one with the piping on top. You did an excellent job on the piping. Your other cakes are also pretty!!  I am going to try my hand at piping scrolls and very soon. Do you also work with fondant? I see most of your cakes look all like buttercream. I personally prefer all buttercream cakes. Do you do wedding cakes in the bakery you work for or just birthday cakes? How about cut out cakes?

So, how did you get into caking? Are you self taught? What kind of cakes is your favorite to do? 

pastychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastychef Posted 25 Oct 2016 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 9

Welcome! I'm fairly new myself, I was a lurker for years but now have my own business. I did my internship in a very busy bakery. I have good stories, I can only imagine the great stories you have from a grocery chain.

jhines142 Posted 25 Oct 2016 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 9

We actually don't use fondant at all..... Only whipped icing and buttercream. I have tried to use fondant and hated it. I prefer to use modeling chocolate over fondant. Yes i will definitely post some horror-stories that will make everyone laugh at least a little. I am completely self taught but did get certified by my company.

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 26 Oct 2016 , 3:50am
post #6 of 9

I started in a grocery store too! I'm working in a small business bakery now, I love being able to do big fancy fondant cakes that I couldn't do at a grocery store, but I do miss working there sometimes. Your cakes look really nice! Looks like you've got some freedom in decorating at your bakery. I was very lucky in that my managers would let me get pretty creative, I've heard that a lot of grocery stores make you stick to simple, corporate-approved cakes with very little wiggle room.

jhines142 Posted 26 Oct 2016 , 11:43am
post #7 of 9

Yeah they do.....my managers are the best i ahve ever worked for. Id love to work for a niche bakery but id need to make just as much or more for me to do it. In cincy here there are a lot of small cake shops so its kinda not in my cards to open my own.

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 26 Oct 2016 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 9

Yeah, I had to take a pay cut and lost my insurance changing companies, but the experienced I've gained and the skills (plus a major boost to my portfolio) have been worth it. I'm still kinda young (ish) and want to learn as much as I can to see where cake decorating can take me. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Oct 2016 , 1:37am
post #9 of 9

welcome, Jhines -- hope you enjoy yourself here --

I worked for a grocery store for just a few months -- it was on the brutal side -- graveyard shift -- piped all night long -- filled up the delivery trucks in the wee hours -- on Friday nights it was common to work 12-15 hours -- we got the cakes already iced -- straight decorating -- 

anyway I've worked for many different bakeries -- you learn so much -- 

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%