Client Comlained Cake Was Dry And Crumbled When Cut

Business By crazycakesandtreats Updated 26 Oct 2016 , 3:27am by Naivohw

crazycakesandtreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakesandtreats Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 9

Ok i had a cake go out yesrerday. She called today to say the cake was dry, and crumbled when they cut it.  It was a last minute scratch cake made the day before and refrigerated.  Buttercream frosting.  It was torted. Lots if fondant detail but  not covered in fondant.  I have no idea how it was cut or with what.

Here's the thing, I have used this recipe many times with no issues and when I was working on it, it was moist. 

Also she didnt save any, not one piece and has no photos of it at all? Which I find odd as it was a kids birthday party. 

Suggestions on how to handle this??

8 replies
Mammadukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mammadukes Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 9

So sorry to hear they didn't like your cake I'm sure it was delicious, have you ever done a cake for her before, is she asking for a refund or just complaining, it sounds odd to me too, if it was so dry and crumbly why is there none left. I know I would have taken pics to show you what I meant if there was something wrong with it. I had a bottom cake tier collapse on me yesterday evening  I felt terrible and was so upset, though I'm pretty sure it was because of the way it was transported after she picked it up, I offered some money back just to be nice for her trouble. That might be the way to go for good business, good luck sweetie ☺

crazycakesandtreats Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you.  No I have never done a cake for her. No she didn't out right ask for a refund.... But hinted at it.  When I asked if she had some of the cake left that I could see she said she threw it out. When I asked if she at least took a picture she said no.  

crazycakesandtreats Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 9

Oh and now hours after ahe says ahe threw it out and doesnt have the cake anymore she has the cake now.... Some im thinking to myself ok did she fish it out of the garbage like how am i supossed to taste this now to figure out what is wrong?

Mammadukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mammadukes Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 9

Omg she's crazy thinking your going to taste or even figure out what's wrong now after it spent all night sitting in the trash, yeah cause I'm sure it sat right on top all by itself with nothing touching or crushing it in there

crazycakesandtreats Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 9

Yeah exactly. And when I said exactly that she then backpedaled again and said it was sitying in the box on the counter and she threw away the pieces no one would eat. 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 9

If I bought a cake that was dry and crumbly and everyone hated it I would have taken pictures of the plates of uneaten cake like Mammadukes said. If it was all eaten there's no reason to complain. If you've never done a cake for this woman before I would be suspicious she's just trying to get money back from the cake lady. She complained but if she did not ask for money back I would not offer it. She ordered a last minute cake  (these people are typically problems) which you provided and the cake was consumed. You did what you were paid to do. No refund. You can offer her a polite apology that she didn't enjoy your cake, but this is your tried and true recipe which all your other clients enjoy and when you tested it it was moist and to your standard. Because there is no proof of your having done anything wrong but offer your standard cake I wouldn't offer her anything but my regrets.

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 25 Oct 2016 , 2:38am
post #8 of 9

Also keep in mind that sometimes to people who are used to box mix cakes, any scratch cake will seem dry in comparison, even if it's moist, since it's not the texture they're used to.

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 26 Oct 2016 , 3:27am
post #9 of 9

She's definitely just fishing for a refund, I'm sure your cake was fine. I had a lady like that. First the decorations were wrong and it ruined the grad party (this cake was gorgeous by the way, definitely in my top 5). Then when we didn't budge on a refund, oh the cake was the wrong flavor. Nope, just what she ordered. Then came it was so dry we couldn't even eat it. Oh I'm so sorry, bring it in so we can check it out. Oh I threw it away, why would I save it? She never did get her refund because NOTHING was wrong with that cake. She wrote a nasty review on Facebook but whatever, ce la vie. I'd bet your lady either spent too much and had buyers remorse, had a spouse get mad about how much she spent or she's just a scammer. And as Magda_MI said, so many people are used to box mixes that scratch tastes wrong to them. Its so sad. If you want you can start adding simple syrup to your cakes before you fill them, I've been doing that and haven't had any more complaints.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%