Pound Cake Problem

Baking By Cakes_and_Faith Updated 25 Oct 2016 , 11:56am by MimiFix

Cakes_and_Faith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes_and_Faith Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 1:38am
post #1 of 3

Hello fellow bakers!

I'm having a problem with my pound cakes. The last three pound cakes I have made did not rise all the way (about an inch shorter than normal) and either in the middle or the bottom of the cake has this gummy, undone like texture. The last time I had this problem was about this same time last year when the weather was starting to change. I was wondering if weather could play a part in what's happening? Maybe my oven, it's electric?? I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else before. I'm being careful to follow the recipe and I have made these cakes many, many times with no problem. I also want to note that these pound cakes don't have a leavening agent but with all the eggs in the recipe, they have always risen and baked just fine...until now lol.

Please, please help....any advice is welcome!

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 10:13am
post #2 of 3

I'm purely guessing -- I make a similar pound cake and at some point late in the oven time it cracks on top and the batter pushes up to cook off the final bit -- it might be that yours is baking over across the top too done so that last final push can't break through & bake off? 

and it could possibly be caused by a drop in humidity

and I think once I noticed this hard crust forming too firmly and I gave the crack a little help by way of gently cutting/carving/coaxing a crack out of it 

this is a pure maybe for you -- but it is heart breaking to have that happen and of course make sure your batter is well beaten and your eggs are stretched out and light and smoothy smooth in the creaming process with the sugar and butter

maybe a pan of hot water in bottom of oven to provide a little moisture?

best to you

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 Oct 2016 , 11:56am
post #3 of 3

For whatever reason, your cakes are not fully baked. Leave them in the oven longer and at the end, drop the oven temp if the top appears too dark. Internal temps for pound cakes are typically 210 degrees F. Using a thermometer will be your best advantage. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%