Cake Set Up On A Cake Stand Without A Baseboard

Decorating By Lacie76 Updated 24 Oct 2016 , 4:50pm by Pastrybaglady

Lacie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lacie76 Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 1:30am
post #1 of 6

Hello,

I have a baby shower cake due in a few weeks. The client would like a 3 tiered cake displayed on a gold cake stand but does not want a cake board to be visible. Like the cake pictured below. Obviously there would be the same size cake board underneath the bottom tier but no large baseboard.  Her cake will be 3 tiers: 11", 9" and 7" rounds. The cake stand is 14"  in diameter. 

Has anyone done this? If so, would you mind sharing tips on setting up? Do you need a second person to hold the stand for you? I am a little nervous about setting up a cake directly on a stand.

Also, I imagine it is difficult to slice the cake on the stand, does it need to be completely dismantled and taken off the stand prior to slicing? 

Thank you, I greatly appreciate any input!!

[postimage id="5426" thumb="900"]

5 replies
Lacie76 Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 1:36am
post #2 of 6

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I will be stacking the cake at the venue. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 8:47am
post #3 of 6

I don't quite understand your problem to be honest. If she doesn't want the cake board to show than use an 11" board for your 11" cake and it won't show. 

For the transport I'd place it on a slightly bigger board with a non slip mat in between and use a cake lifter or spacula at the venue to lift it so you get your fingers under the board. You wound basically handle it as it the cake stand is the bottom tier and you place your 3 "real" tiers on top.

Lacie76 Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, I mentioned that there will be a board under the 11" that won't show. and it's not the transport that I'm asking about. I just wanted to know if anyone has set a cake up in this fashion and if so, I would love to hear their experience (tips,challenges). I.e. Did you require a second person to hold the stand; dismantling and slicing etc.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 6

Okay... maybe someone else can help... 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 6

Sounds like you're concerned the cake will be unsteady on the cake stand? you can place double stick tape on the stand to stick to the bottom board to secure it. After that the cake should stack pretty normally. If the cake is completely disassembled before cutting so the largest tier is cut first, it might be wise to have someone hang onto the base just to be sure, but otherwise everything else should be the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%