First Time Baking A Cake, Need Some Tips

Baking By krd0429 Updated 24 Oct 2016 , 6:04pm by remnant3333

krd0429 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krd0429 Posted 23 Oct 2016 , 2:33am
post #1 of 7

So typically I am a cookie baker as I love cookies and I am eh about cake, but my boyfriends 21st birthday is coming up and I want to bake him a vanilla cake with strawberry and whip cream filling. I already have a box of french vanilla cake mix and a box instant pudding mix.  To doctor it up I was planning on the following:

-Butter instead of oil

-A packet of instant pudding mix

-Whole milk instead of water

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

-An extra egg

For the whipped cream I was going to use heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and unflavored gelatin to stabalize it, but idk what proportions to use or how much heavy cream I even need to cover and fill the cake. 

Also I heard that sprinkling sugar on top of the cake helps it come out flat. I also saw that you can cut up towels or get cake strips but I am a broke college kid not willing to cut up my towels or go buy cake strips for a one time cake. 

If anyone could tell me if this is a good route to take or any other easy (cheap) tips? 

Also silly question but when I bake the cake do I have to put parchment paper on the bottom or is butter and flour good enough? 

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 23 Oct 2016 , 3:26am
post #2 of 7

Your plan is sound. I've never heard of sprinkling sugar on top to make it flat, that's new to me! I wouldn't recommend it. When you fill the pans try spinning the pans on the counter. The centrifugal force will drive the batter evenly up the sides a bit and help your cake bake a little more evenly. You don't HAVE to put parchment paper in the bottom, but it is the infallible way to get a cake out cleanly.

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 23 Oct 2016 , 4:39am
post #3 of 7

Greasing and flouring the pan should be fine, just grease and flour it generously. For a 2 layer 9" cake I would use 1 pint (2 cups)of heavy cream, whipped with 1 tsp vanilla and 1/4  - 1/2 cup sugar . I use 1/4 cup of sugar. you might like it sweeter.  You could put 1 layer of cake then a layer of strawberries , a layer of whipped cream then repeat the layers, cake ,strawberries and cream. If you really want to cover the sides too you will need 3 or 4 cups of heavy cream. you could get by with 1 quart of strawberries .

krd0429 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krd0429 Posted 23 Oct 2016 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you! Also how many hours can I decorate the cake with the whipped cream? 

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 12:36am
post #5 of 7

I would do it the morning of the party if at all possible...

Ritzgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ritzgirl Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 2:32am
post #6 of 7

To get a flat cake, you can get the same effect as bake-even strips by using damp paper towels covered with tinfoil.  Wrap a few damp paper towels with tinfoil into strips and then wrap them around the pan.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 7

If you want the whip cream frosting to be stabilized so it doesn't go flat add a couple of tablespoons of dry instant vanilla pudding or pudding of choice. This will make the frosting last longer so it does not go flat. Whipped cream will go flat if not eaten up quickly!! I use to add piping gel but I can't get it here where I am and found out that the instant pudding works wonders and it is readily available so I get what is easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%