How Long In Advance Can I Cook A Competition Cake

Baking By KrazyHazey Updated 24 Oct 2016 , 12:37am by kyliecake

KrazyHazey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyHazey Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 3

I have a cake decorating competition coming up and have 3 cakes entered (yes I'm crazy) .

I was wondering how far in advance can I bake my cakes and start decorating.

the cakes won't be eaten but I don't want them to start bowing or disintegrate before competition   

Thanks for for your advice 

2 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 23 Oct 2016 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 3

Do you have to use real cake or can you use dummies? 

If real cake you can use pound cake and american buttercream made with shortening or ganache. Don't see why it would bow or disintegrate even after a long time.

kyliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliecake Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 12:37am
post #3 of 3

Good luck!

I have done many competition cakes, some in dummies, some in choc mud. I bake at least a few weeks in advance so that i have time to carve, ganache and decorate. I don't use buttercream or any fillings as no one is eating it, but still ganache to get the sharp edges.

I fondant as early as possible before deocating so that it is firm and less risk of marking/denting or finger nailing LOL and wrecking the finish.

I try and get it finished a week before it is due if possible, so that if you need to change anything you still add. MInd you, I was literally still decorating 10 minutes before leaving to deliver some cupcakes in the Royal Melbourne Show this year in Australia! Had a shocking week and was way behind. But guess what? i came first hahaha!

All the best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%