How Do You Price Mini Cakes?

Business By bakemeenchanted Updated 22 Oct 2016 , 4:50pm by bakemeenchanted

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 1:36am
post #1 of 6

Hi! I'm not looking for a dollar amount here, just an idea of how to price mini single serving fondant cakes.

So I don't price per slice, but rather I have a fixed base charge for an 8" round, 9" round, or equivalent, etc. And then I add on from there.

So how would you charge for mini cakes? Just your base price per slice plus whatever add- ons? So like if you charge $ 7.00 / slice for fondant and then $ 5.00 for a sugar rose, would you charge  $ 12.00 total?

( I'm just pulling numbers out of the air here. I don't work in or have any concept of the value of dollars lol)

In my case do I just divide my 20 serving price by 20 and charge that?

It seems underpriced since mini cakes seem to be much more difficult than a larger cake, being so dainty and all.

And would a single mini cake be worth it? I have a customer wanting to give his fiance a single mini cake, but I don't know if it'd be worth all the trouble.

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 3:08am
post #2 of 6

Is this something you even offer? Some bakers simply refuse to do mini cakes because they're so much more work due to the size.

I usually charge $15 ~ $20 each because they are such a pita. And there's a minimum of 12 for one order.

Totally up to you, but I would tell him either go with a 6 inch or be prepared to pay a lot more for my time.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 6:50am
post #3 of 6

Minis are a PITA as mentioned ^^^

One would need to pay me the minimum I charge for an order. Of course people never want to pay that lol.

Having said that...I looove minis! I do them sometimes just to take pictures or offer to guests at my house. There are ways and tricks to speed up the process of icing and coverIng them in fondant and the more you play around trying the faster you get. 

bakemeenchanted Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 6

@jgifford I like the sound of that! Be ready to pay!

I don't offer them right now, but I was wondering if this was a feasible direction to expand in, because I do have a lot of people asking for 1 or 2 mini cakes. I've never considered it because I would have to charge a lot and I don't think people will pay.

They are freaking adorable though, so I might do a minimum of 8 or 12, but I guess single ones are out for now. Unless this dude is willing to pay me like crazy lol!

@julia1812 I imagine they'd make beautiful gifts or favours! What's your number 1 time saving trick when making these?

Thanks so much for the responses!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 6

@bakemeenchanted ‍ good question...#1 tip...Idk.  Can't rank it but Here are a few: Bake sheet cakes and use cutters to cut layers from the sheet cake. Fill, crumb coat roughly and freeze (WAY easier to handle). If they are tiny I like to use fondant panelling...works great with rounds and squares especially if all cut to same size with cutter beforehand. Little mess ups and joints can be easily hidden with gunge or some piping or flowers or....

bakemeenchanted Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 6

Wow thank you for the detailed response Julia!

Panelling is genius, I wouldn't have thought of that!

I don't know if I'm gonna be selling these, but I'm pretty excited to give it a try just for myself! I'm thinking 3" × 3" would be a good size. Maybe 3 1/2" tall. Let's see. smiley.pngsmiley.pngsmiley.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%