Strawberry Buttercream Without Fresh Strawberries

Baking By clairific Updated 22 Oct 2016 , 5:19am by Dar917

clairific Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clairific Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make strawberry buttercream but without fresh strawberries. What should I use? Strawberry syrup? Strawberry buttercream?

7 replies
mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 8

I've had success with mixing strawberry jam to my Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC) before :) good luck!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 8

CK Icing Fruit in Red Raspberry is my favorite, but the strawberry is pretty good.     Icing fruit is similar to a cooking "reduction" in that it imparts the flavor and color without adding additional liquid to your buttercream or ganache or cake batter.    If you use CK icing fruit, be aware that it contains tiny bits of the fruit and WILL clog icing tips if used for piping.   

Strawberry sleeve filling is more readily available, less expensive, but will add a little bit of extra liquid into your buttercream/ganache/batter. 

Both products are shelf stable.

clairific Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 8

It's not that they don't want strawberries in it or anything, it's just the cake they want. They want it to look like a field of grass, but they want strawberry buttercream...and the two don't seem to go together in my head. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 8

CK Icing Fruits were always my go-to for flavoring icing (and cake.)  It would be easy to dye strawberry icing green for the grass.  The problem is that the icing fruit has pieces of fruit in it, and those will clog up the grass tip.  You might just have to use strawberry flavoring.

clairific Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 5:19am
post #8 of 8

Yeah, sounds like strawberry extract would be your best bet if they want it green. I think the strawberry extract I have is clear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%