Lorann Almond Flavoring And Dream Whip Frosting- Yuck What Gives?

Decorating By Alohilani Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 11:42pm by Alohilani

Alohilani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alohilani Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 3

Hi guys, I'm babysitting my little cousins tomorrow so I'm making some frosting for a play date for them and a some of their friend. One of their friends who is coming has several allergies so I had to adjust the frosting I'm going to give to them to play with.  Since I can't use my regular frosting, I called her mom and she told me she ONLY gives her dream whip frosting so this is what I made. I used, the dream whip, L&C free milk, L&C free heavy whipping cream, L&C free white chocolate instant pudding/pie filling, Lorann vanilla flavoring. It tasted okay but it was missing something so I added a tad of the Lorann almond flavoring. It was a mistake because now it has this tart taste to it. The kind that leaves a film on your teeth sort like when you bite on a lemon or eat cranberries and don't brush your teeth right away. It also has an artificial after taste to it, almost chemical that lingers. Is the almond flavoring combination with the dream whip? Is it because I used the almond flavoring? The vanilla with the almost and dream whip? It was just a tiny splash of flavoring, less then 1/4. I don't usually eat dream whip so I don't know how it should taste once flavored. I need to remake it of course but I was wondering if anybody has experienced this before. Is this how it should taste? I only have enough to make one extra batch with all the allergy free stuff and want to make sure before I try again. If I leave all the flavoring out, it tasted so blah. All ideas and suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 3

did you use a lorann oil? that is dosed out by the drop so it's easy to over do it if it was an oil -- what kind of flavoring did you use?

dream whip is just like the frozen whipped topping, cool whip -- just a real light slightly vanilla/marshmallow-ish fluffy topping --

maybe just eliminate additional flavor and the taste of the cake should help pull it all along

Alohilani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alohilani Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 3

No, it's not the oil for candy. It's the LorAnn almond  natural flavoring that is water based for cakes and frostings.  This one is about 1/2 as strong as the concentrated oil flavoring. I've used it before when making frostings just not this type.  

I'm thinking it's the HPMC plus the palm oil combined with something else from the almond flavoring that caused it to taste awful. Cool whip and dream whip aren't the same, I'm not completely sure what the difference is but dream whip is silkier and more firm. I'm to tired right now to dig through the chemicals listed in bought but she can't have cool whip anyways so I can check later. I'm just going to remake it and not use any flavoring at all. She won't notice, I'm sure the other kids might but they won't complain. Most of them are used to making food allowances for themselves or friends. Thanks again for replying. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%