How To Replace Shortening (White Vegetable Fat) To Help To Avoid "elephant Skin" On Fondant

Decorating By lenacr Updated 2 Nov 2016 , 3:27am by msalasek

lenacr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lenacr Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 9

Dear all,

when i cover my cakes with fondant it always has a bit of "elephant skin" or little cracks. When I roll fondant out I usually use cornstarch but recently I read that it dries fondant out a little bit and that could be the reason for the cracks. Apparently it's better to roll out fondant using shortening (white vegetable fat like Trex or Crisco).  In the country where we are based at the moment there is no shortening at all. My question is can I replace it with a bit of vegetable oil or butter (using a bit on the surface and rolling pin while rolling out)? Or maybe there are other ways to avoid the cracks? Thank you very much in advance, Lena 

8 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 12:24am
post #2 of 9

Have you ever tried adding a little glycerin? Just a little makes the fondant so much softer and stretchy. It's great for covering cakes but bad for sculpting. Otherwise you could use butter but it would make the fondant more temperature sensitive.

lenacr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lenacr Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 10:07am
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much for your answer!! Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to find glycerin like Wilton glycerin here where I am but I'll try. Will also have a look in the pharmacy :) Missing UK with everything available for baking!! Thank you again! 

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 2:19am
post #4 of 9

How about clear corn syrup.  Also use powdered sugar instead of cornstarch to roll out the fondant.

msalasek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msalasek Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 3:58am
post #5 of 9

I've always rolled my fondant out on a fondant mat, without any corn starch or powdered sugar just plain fondant and I still get cracks and elephant skin. I make sure to not roll it too thin, because I often get tearing as well. What am I doing wrong? Should I stop using a fondant mat? I don't drape the fondant mat over the cake when I'm done rolling out the fondant, I use a large rolling pin to drape it over the cake. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it though. I've done fondant on so many cakes, and I've never had "the perfect cake" without having to deal with cracks or tears.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 9

@msalasek ‍ What brand of fondant are you using?  Satin Ice is really prone to elephant skin.  Other brands like Fondarific and Carma Messa are softer and smoother, and they take a long time to dry so they don’t form the dreaded elephant skin.  Carma Messa taste better than Fondarific but you can’t color the Carma with any dyes that contain US Red #3.   Via Roma Bakery also has a very nice fondant that is easy to work with, takes color well, and doesn’t form elephant skin unless the fondant gets old and dried out.

@lenacr ‍ like msalasek I use The Mat to roll out the fondant and never have to use corn starch or powder sugar.  Even fondant rolled very thin just peels off the plastic mat.

msalasek Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 9

I use Wilton fondant. Maybe I'll try a different brand, I use Wilton because it's easily available at the grocery store so if I'm ever in a pinch and I need fondant right away I can just run to the store and easily get it.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 9

The Wilton Original or the Wilton Preferred?  I’ve tried them both and never noticed the elephant skin.  Check the expiration date.  Over time it will dry out even if the packaging is unopen.  Do you have a Walmart nearby?  They started carrying the Fondarific brand.  Fondarific is very easy to work with.  It never dries out and has a 2 year shelf life.

msalasek Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 3:27am
post #9 of 9

It's definitely not dried out because I buy it new right before I use it. Yes I have a Walmart close by I'll have to look out for that brand. I've never seen any fondant there besides Wilton though. Is it found in the cake mix isle? Our Walmart has an entire Wilton isle, but obviously only Wilton fondant is sold there. I definitely want to give that brand a try though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%