Tres Leches

Decorating By SweetsForLili Updated 31 Oct 2016 , 8:33pm by SweetsForLili

SweetsForLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsForLili Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone. I am new here and new at baking too.... I need to make a cake for a coworker, she wants tres leches and a roses designs... Roses made with the same icing and it goes from hot pink at them bottom, pink and the light pink on top... I know I can't do buttercream bc It's not the typical icing... What kind of icing (that I can color) should I use? Here's the pic but definitely without the bow and ears. 

Thanks a lot imore advance. [postimage id="5388" thumb="900"]

7 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 8

Most tres leche cakes are loaded with fruit on top of cake. I have seen a few that have borders around them. Actually, tres leche cakes are one of my favorite cakes. First time I ever tasted it I fell in love with it. The second time, not so much because who ever made it used some kind of gross frosting which tasted like a clump of thick yucky mess plus it didn't have enough of the milk soaked into the cake. Good thing I didn't taste the second tres leche cake for the first time because I would have thought that I hated the tres leche cake. The first one was delicious!!

I started making it myself using stabilized whip cream which you can color but the colors don't come out dark but they can be adjusted by amount of gel color put into frosting. Everyone who tasted it said mine tasted better than the Mexican bakery cakes. There are a lot of good recipes out there on the internet for them. Anyway, as long as whip cream frosting is stabilized, you can color it and it is thick enough to make the roses with the 1M tip. I always used the Wilton recipe using piping gel to stabilize which is on the internet.  I guess you could use american buttercream or the egg based buttercream which is less sweet too. 

Good luck and post and picture.

SweetsForLili Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you so much... I will check with thosea 2 and my friend who's a Baker also told me to use unflavored gelatin... I will try all and see. Thanks again

SweetsForLili Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 8

Omg... I used wilton whipped icing cream mix and I added unflavored gelatin, a little vanilla and color and here are the results.. [postimage id="5414" thumb="900"]

I couldn't turn the pic. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 8

Looks excellent!! Great job!!

SweetsForLili Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks so excited... AND I meant with bow and ears. Typing from a cell phone its fixes the typing...

heidirv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidirv Posted 31 Oct 2016 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 8

i am suppose to make the same thing, i'm surprised the icing didn't slide off of such a moist cake.

SweetsForLili Posted 31 Oct 2016 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 8

It didn't and I just made another one this past weekend. I got a lot of compliments and I didn't use the gelatin in the whipped cream. [postimage id="5527" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%