Glossy Cake Icing

Decorating By ChocolateLove Updated 23 Oct 2016 , 6:33pm by bakemeenchanted

ChocolateLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChocolateLove Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 10

Hello, 

Has anyone tried the glossy icings like one below? I am experimenting with an online recipe and wanted to know how if this icing/glaze handles well? Does this need a buttercream or is it tasty enough by itself? Also, can it be left out or does it have to refrigerated? I would love to hear your experiences. 

Thank you so much

Image result for glossy cake icing

9 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 10

I may be wrong but I think in this instance the colour actually comes from marbled fondant being placed over the cake and then a clear mirror glaze being poured over the fondant finish.

From the clear recipes that I have seen they don't really have much flavour so I would do the cake like you usually would and then use the glaze as a purely decorative element, perhaps taking into account how sweet the recipe is that you are pouring over the finished cake. 

kayra850 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayra850 Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 10:25am
post #3 of 10

hello,  ( I am hobby baker)

I made this cake and I will tell you my expirience with mirror glaze:

-cake must be covered absolutely streight with frostin otherwise you will have this little defects as on my cake.

-you can use buttercream, SMBC or ganache frosting, but the cake must be well chilled. You can not poure glaze over naked cake.

-I am making mirror glaze with white chocolate, glucose, sugar, wather  condensed milk and gelatine, and it tase nice

-glaze must be prepered well and cool on 34 C to get proper flowing

-I am eding different food colors in to glaze to achive marble looks

-this glaze can be left out on room temperature because gelatine will hold it. But I do not recomend to stay out on higher temperature.

if you are interested, here is rusian recipe I am using for covering 22 cm cake (8-10 cm tall)

150 g white chocolate, 150 g glucose,150 g sugar,70 ml water, 100 ml condensed milk, 15 g gelatine.

soak gelatine in the water. in the mean time heat glucose, 70 ml water and suger until sugar disolve. Leave it to coll down a bit and then add soaked gelatine and whisk it well with hand. Add condensed milk and whisk, and then poure over choped chocolate. Let it stay for a minute so that chocolate become soft and then use stick mixer-blender and mix well until smooth. Now you must filtrate the glaze and then, if you wish, separate it in a few bowls and add colors. Stir again and cool it down to 34 C.

kayra850 Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 10:28am
post #4 of 10

[postimage id="5389" thumb="900"]

kayra850 Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 10:35am
post #5 of 10

here is video

and good luck to you

kayra850 Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 10:41am
post #6 of 10

and lot's of ideas.....

ChocolateLove Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 10

Kayra850-Thank you! I am glad you shared your experience and your recipe! I saw something similar on the net so I can't wait to try it, thanks!

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 1:09am
post #8 of 10

Hi! I made this cake using a nutella chocolate mousse. Just whipped cream, nutella and a little gelatine over an oreo crust. I made sure to freeze it for a few hours before glazing.

I used the mirror glaze recipe from here, but not the vegetarian one. I used gelatine. 

http://www.gretchensbakery.com/mirror-glaze-recipe-vegetarian-version/

And I watched all the tutorials that @kayra850 posted. Love the colours on your cake, by the way!

Good luck! This is a super fun technique!

[postimage id="5402" thumb="900"]

ChocolateLove Posted 22 Oct 2016 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 10

This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I am going to try this recipe. 

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 23 Oct 2016 , 6:33pm
post #10 of 10

You're welcome! Let us know how it turns out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%