Can I Fill And Crumb Coat A Cake In Advance?

Decorating By BlushCrumbs Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 5:16pm by kakeladi

BlushCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlushCrumbs Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 11:30am
post #1 of 3

Hello Cake Central Community!

Is it possible to crumb coat and chill a filled layered cake and letting it stay in the fridge overnight and then finishing the decorating the next day? I am worried about the filling seeping in the cake and possible condensation. I've heard horror stories from others with condensation problems. I've also read that you can leave cakes out for days without any issues?  ( I am refridgerating them because my freezer isn't big enough.) 

Any recommendations?

Specifics:

I am making an orange velvet cake filled with cream cheese frosting and a layer of strawberry jam between. I am making a separate buttercream for crumb coat because I find the cream cheese frosting not as sturdy enough. I am topping the cake with a chocolate ganache drip. 

Thanks in advance everyone! 

2 replies
bluefox1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluefox1394 Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 3

Absolutely! I would recommend between the layers to ice and then using some stiffened icing to create a dam around the strawberry jam before adding the next layer (to  help prevent seepage) . At that point I will dirty coat and then wrap tightly with plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge overnight. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 3

Exactly what bluefox said :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%