Piping On Buttercream

Decorating By littlemo12 Updated 21 Oct 2016 , 2:08pm by littlemo12

littlemo12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemo12 Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 5

I love the piping details on wedding cakes. I do strictly buttercream cakes, no fondant. I have been researching piping techniques  and it seems when piping on fondant, people impress the design onto the fondant and then trace around the design. I have been looking for info on perfecting this look with buttercream cakes .... getting the piping design even and uniform. I know ....practice. practice, practice, but would love any shortcuts ..... if there are any 

Looking for tricks and techniques from anyone that wants to share. [postimage id="5367" thumb="900"]

4 replies
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 5

You can use a pin/needle to trace out your design before piping.  You'll be covering it up, so it works the same as fondant there - just don't drag too much :)  I like to draw it out on wax paper and then transfer onto the cake, so I know it all lines up.  You can poke thru the wax paper and dot out the lines and then pipe right over it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 5

Pipe the design on a plastic sheet using royal icing.  Once dried it can be used to impress your crusting b'cream covered cake.

640Cake's ideas are good.  Instead of using wax paper for the latter idea use freezer paper.   It's hard to describe how this makes a difference but place the fzr paper on a semi soft surface to poke the holes so when finished the back will have ridges/punch marks - UUGGGG don't know what to call it.  This is what you can use to impress on crusted b'cream.  Using a hat pin (big needle/pin  w/a pearl on the top) makes bigger holes - easier to see/work with.

How nice to know there are still others out there who work only in b'cream :)   Now I don't feel so lonely! 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 5

I love buttercream cakes and can not stand the fondant cakes. Don't get me wrong they look nice but I have seen some buttercream cakes that are so smooth that you would swear that it is fondant. I love making buttercream flower cakes!! I also love the taste of the buttercream better than fondant. Most people peel off the fondant and don't even eat it. You are definitely not alone in working in buttercream only!! 

littlemo12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemo12 Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your comments, I'm going to practice with the two methods that were suggested. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%