Pokemon Cake Help.

Decorating By Raynebow88 Updated 21 Oct 2016 , 1:28pm by mattyeatscakes

Raynebow88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raynebow88 Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 8:02am
post #1 of 11

Hello. I will be making this Pokemon cake soon.  I need advice on how I should stack the sphere on the bottom tier? I also wanted to know if I should put a cake board in the middle of the sphere? I really would appreciate it if someone could please help me soon. TIA:)

[postimage id="5359" thumb="900"]

10 replies
A-CupOfTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A-CupOfTee Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 11

I've done this before and honestly I just sit it on top. I make sure my cake and buttercream under the fondant is firm by putting it in the refrigerator, while I cover the sphere. When I take the bottom tier out, it condensates just enough for the sphere to stick, if not, I'll melt a little chocolate to "glue" it together. And as far as the cake board in the middle of the sphere, I've done both. I f you look at my pictures, the basketball cake has no separating board, but my Tinkerbell cake does (it was necessary that time) I think that part is personal preference (how tall do you want those slices) I hope that helps! Good luck!

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 11

Here is a video of Yolanda from How to Cake it making the Pokéball that might be helpful.

She doesn't add a plate in between the two halves, but like suggested, it probably depends on the size of your ball and how big the slices will be with or without a plate. As far as it sitting on the bottom cake, I would worry about the weight caving into the bottom cake if you don't offer some type of cake plate/dowel support. I guess it depends on how big/heavy you make the ball.

Raynebow88 Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you both for getting back to me!

@A-CupOfTee ‍ just saw your pics looks great! So you don't put any support underneath the sphere? Do you add any dowels at all? I also wanted to ask you, the sizes of the cake look like a 8" sphere and a 12" round tier. Does that seem right to you? Thank you again!

@inthekitchen2 ‍ love that video. So very helpful. Thank you!!!

A-CupOfTee Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 11

@Raynebow88 ‍ sorry for the late answer, but honestly, no. I did put dowels in the Tinkerbell cake though only because I had to travel an hour away with it, so I wanted to play it safe. The sphere is 6'' and a 8'' round tier.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 11

Hi, 

i have made a few cakes with spheres on top, one of those was for a Pokemon cake. Based on experience, i would definitely put a plate in between and add traingular spaced dowels underneath the bottom cake. The sphere cake is surprisingly heavy, and will sink or push the bottom cake as time passes. If you are serving the cake within a couple of hours then no dowels will be fine, but if travelling or keeping the cake overnight or a few hours, please add a board and dowels :) if you would like to view my sphere cakes, my website is 

www.mattyeatscakes.com

goodluck! :) 

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 11

I agree with @mattyeatscakes ‍ ‍ , from personal experience I didn't do it one time (first time) and immediately when I placed it on the cake (with a center dowel and a plate to hold together for a car ride), it started smooshing the bottom cake. I had to remove it and place dowels in the bottom cake under the sphere cake plate to support it. I always do this for regular tiered cakes, so I don't know why I tried it without one that time. I thought it would be light, but it was surprisingly very heavy. It was covered in fondant, which adds weight. I noticed the previous poster used a Rice Krispie covered hollow sphere, for the Tinkerbell one (lovely cakes btw) , and that would be very light compared to a cake weight.

A-CupOfTee Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you @inthekitchen2 ‍!

@Raynebow88 ‍ 

I agree with the two people above, on the weight of the cake, but again all of my cakes stayed put, no sinking, no sliding, no bulging, nothing. Who knows, maybe I have a magic touch lol but its better to play it safe than sorry. Is the cake for you? Or is it for someone else? My first and second tiered sphere cakes were for myself, so I wasn't worried about any disasters lol. That is why I never used any supports on the  other cakes (maybe the daredevil in me should go into hibernation lol) I really want to see your end product! Let us know how everything goes!

Raynebow88 Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 5:28am
post #9 of 11

Thank you all so very much!!! You all have been so helpful. I feel really excited and confident that I'll be able to pull it off. This is for my neighbor, they're Pokemon fans. Can't wait to show you guys when I'm done!!!

Raynebow88 Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 5:38am
post #10 of 11

@mattyeatscakes ‍ I just looked at your website. Your work is amazing!!! 

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 1:28pm
post #11 of 11

Awww thanks @raynebow88 smile.png Can't wait to see your finished cake! Bet it will be awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%