Gum Paste Vs Tylose Powder Vs Brand Names Vs Chemical Ingredients

Decorating By LettieKaye Updated 18 Oct 2016 , 7:20pm by -K8memphis

LettieKaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LettieKaye Posted 17 Oct 2016 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 8

This has been wild.... I wanted to pick up Tylose Powder since some instructions suggested it.  I grabbed the Wilton's at Michaels and noticed when I got home it was called "Gum-Tex Tylose Powder".  So then I was totally confused.  I had Wilton Gum Paste Mix and with the "Title" of the Tylose leaving me to wonder if it was more than just Tylose Powder.

In addition, The instructions were limited.  There were no instructions for making just the glue/paste for attaching flowers and decorations or how much to use. The instructions for the "Gum-Tex Tylose Powder" called for "Wilton Glucose Syrup"....so I was thinking oh great, now I have to go back to the store again.....Well this is what I found after a lot of searching, even chemical compounds using Wikipedia.

• Wilton Gum-Tex Tylose Powder is just:  Cellulose Gum
  • My searches indicate the different names are basically the same Methyl Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Methyl Hydroxypropyl Cellulose, Gum Tragacanth, CMC (Carboxymethyl Cellulose aka: Cellulose Gum).  I'm beginning to wonder if I need a degree in chemistry. :)
  • The Wilton Glucose Syrup the instructions say I need is just basic glucose like: Corn Syrup
  • Apparently I can use the powder (without mixing to create a paste/gum) and add to water to make the glue.
  • Apparently I can use the powder (without mixing to create a paste/gum) and sprinkle it on the fondant or gum paste and mix/kneed.
  • I have found different combinations/mixtures based on personal preferences as well.

So, my bottom line is it appears that manufacturers call the basic cellulose gum a variety of names and may have slight differences in the exact chemical compounds to just make more money when they all do the same thing.

• Can I get some feedback from those with a lot of experience using these different stiffening agents and glue agents. I am a beginner.

Thank you. 

7 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 18 Oct 2016 , 5:40am
post #2 of 8

It all comes down to the same. Gum tex...cmc...whatever.

Glucose and corn syrup are almost the same. GS is made of starch and if that starch is corn you have CS. GS has about 15-19% water and CS contains 24% water.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2016 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 8

yes they are all the same sort of -- they can all be used toward the same purpose like aspirin, naproxen and codeine can all be used for pain killers but they have different aspects to them right? 

i find corn syrup looser as if it has more water than glucose -- glucose is tighter, thicker -- in my mind gum tex is/makes a lesser quality type gum paste but I've never made it -- I've always by passed it for the other stuff -- nick lodge's gum paste is quality if you want to make it -- ck brand gum paste, just add water is great, adding cmc to fondant works great as well --

for many many many applications simply adding cornstarch to fondant gives a nice enough product for bows and butterflies, blossoms etc. -- much cheaper than tylose -- add tylose when you're making petal by petal roses, orchids things of that nature -- or whip out gum paste however I find I have less breakage of the paper thin petals starting with fondant -- it's a more resilient medium for me -- and I drop the stuff on the floor and no breaky :) 

figure modeling I typically use some combination of fondant and corn starch, lots of corn starch well kneaded in -- other modeling mediums include marzipan and candy clay --

not exactly the science behind it all but at least that's what I use that works for me --

best to you

LettieKaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LettieKaye Posted 18 Oct 2016 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you guys so much.  As I indicated, I'm new at this.  I really appreciate your help.

Loretta

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 18 Oct 2016 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 8

There is so much stuff out there. If you're new  I recommend just try a few things and stick with what works best for you. Ask 100 people and you get 100 opinions lol...

-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2016 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 8

exactly what julia said

-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2016 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 8

yes personal choice -- 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%