Icing Smiles Cake-Help Me Please!

Baking By A-CupOfTee Updated 10 Oct 2016 , 2:19pm by A-CupOfTee

A-CupOfTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A-CupOfTee Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 13

I am making a cake for a girl who reached out through Icing Smiles. This is my first "Call to Action" and I'm really excited! I normally make cakes for family and friends, so I'm honored to make this cake. Now, I am making a three tier cake and I really only have one concern. The top tier is going to be a teapot. I have the Wilton Sports Ball cake pans and I was thinking about making the top half of the ball chocolate cake and the bottom half would be RKT. Here's the thing, I wanted to make the RKT into a bowl to hold a few chocolate covered strawberries then put the chocolate cake half on top, cover the whole thing in chocolate ganache and then proceed with the rest. My question is, if I make a bowl out of RKT, fill it with some fruit, then top it with the other half of the ball (chocolate cake), will I have any problems? I hope someone out there understands what I am saying and can help me. Thanks in advance!

p.s She lives about an hour away, so I need some reassurance! 

12 replies
theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 13

How nice of you!  I love anything hidden in a cake but I have a question from your description.  The teapot is half rkt and half cake with hidden strawberries.  How is anyone going to cut through the teapot to find the strawberries - rkt is sooo hard! and what keeps the top half of the teapot from collapsing into the bowl you cut out?

I'd put the strawberries somewhere else...so they can be looked at AND eaten!

I'd love to see the finished product!

GL

T

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 13

Put the 1/2 ball cake on a same sized board and there should be no problem.  Be *sure* the fruit is not touching the board and is not juicy then you should be good to go.   Just remember fresh fruit needs to be refrigerated.   

CoCo Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoCo Cakes Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 13

If you really want to place the strawberries in the RKT, I would "seal" the RKT with some candy melts or almond bark.  This would help keep the RKT from getting soggy and also helps to keep the RKT fresh.  I did a dummy layer in my son's wedding cake made out of RKT and then covered with almond bark and iced as usual--no one had any idea and it stayed fresh for quite some time--and RKT is cheaper than styrofoam LOL.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 13

chocolate covered strawberries have a brief shelf life -- often with any cake especially a sculpture people don't want to cut it -- i would not want to do a cake like this myself -- i might use chocolate covered cherries -- or something with dried fruit or some other kind of candy -- and i'm not saying it isn't possible because it is possible but the short shelf life would have to be solidly addressed with the client -- 

also our local candy company dips their chocolate covered strawberries in white 'fondant' first -- the loose liquid kind of covering fondant and they fully encase the berry -- then they dip in choco so this might be a way to go if you do go ahead -- but if you switch to something more user friendly you save some headache --

best to you -- thanks for doing a sweet cake like this for sucha worthy cause

A-CupOfTee Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you all for your responses I really appreciate them! I will take them all into consideration especially the shelf life, sealing the rkt and the fruit juice (if I do fresh fruit) but thank you all again!

A-CupOfTee Posted 9 Oct 2016 , 4:13am
post #7 of 13

[postimage id="5263" thumb="900"]Here is the final product! Bottom tier is chocolate cake filled with peanut butter buttercream covered in ganache, the middle is vanilla cake with white chocolate and raspberry filling, covered in white chocolate ganache and the top is half chocolate cake poked with caramel and half chocolate covered Rkt filled with chocolate candies! Thanks again everyone!!

-K8memphis Posted 9 Oct 2016 , 11:36am
post #8 of 13

outstandingly beautiful you can see your heart in it -- great way to start my day --

princess olivia had to have been thrilled -- it's just right -- mushrooms and a hidden munchroom ha! flowers, butterflies, fairies, fairy house and the secret hiding place -- wow what a treasure of a cake and so delicious inside -- wow again

lucky her lucky you  purple_heart.png

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 9 Oct 2016 , 11:49am
post #9 of 13

You did a wonderful job! This is such a great cake, and I think the chocolate candies were a wise choice. I am sure this will exceed all their expectations. Congrats on your first Icing Smiles cake.

A-CupOfTee Posted 9 Oct 2016 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 13

@gscout73 @-K8memphis ‍ thank you so much I really enjoyed making it!

-K8memphis Posted 9 Oct 2016 , 3:01pm
post #11 of 13

it shows -- my husband really enjoys your masterpiece too 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 9 Oct 2016 , 3:58pm
post #12 of 13

Wow!! This is an amazing cake!! Great job!! I enjoy making cakes but I don't have near the talent that all of you have!! You are very artistic!!!

A-CupOfTee Posted 10 Oct 2016 , 2:19pm
post #13 of 13

Wow really? @-K8memphis ‍tell your husband I said thank you!

@remnant3333 ‍ Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%