Ways To Prevent Fondant Toppers For Cupcakes From Softening/melting On Top Of Buttercream, Any Suggestions?

Decorating By Lhara22 Updated 6 Oct 2016 , 11:15pm by missmersh

Lhara22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lhara22 Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 7

I'm baking 3 dozens of chiffon cupcakes for Saturday. I will be baking the chiffon cupcakes on Thursday and delivering it Friday for the birthday event on Saturday. I made the fondant cupcake toppers (disc) a week ago to dry. 

1. I am planning to store the chiffon cupcakes in an airtight container in room temperature Thursday or can this be placed in the refrigerator? Will the chiffon cupcakes dry?

2. If I put the cupcake toppers Friday afternoon on buttercream icing frosting, will it soften or turn gooey Saturday afternoon? And still place it in room temperature airtight or just in a box?

Any suggestions on how to store/decorate the chiffon cupcakes/cupcake topper will be appreciated. Thank you!

6 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 8:05am
post #2 of 7

1) I find cupcakes dry out very quickly. That's why I make them as close to the date as possible. If u can't,  I store them vacuum packed in the freezer. Syrup seems not to work for me as I find the cupcake cases detach easier. 

2) What are the toppers made of? I find gumpaste (while dried completely) are fine but not edible. Normally I use fondant with a bit of cmc powder but I prefer to not store them in the fridge as (depending on the design) they soften too much. Maybe you could pack them seperatly and the customer is placing them on last minute? Not the ideal solution, I know... In general they'd be okay to sit for a few hours if they hadn't been refrigerated. 

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 10:43am
post #3 of 7

I don't think there's any way to prevent them from melting unless you use gumpaste for all the details. I usually just pack all the toppers in a separate box for my clients and tell them to place them on prior to serving the cupcakes. 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 7

Mount a candy melt on the bottom of each topper of have it sit higher above the cupcake icing and not melt. Candy melts are not affected.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 6 Oct 2016 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 7

You could also paint the backs of the discs with candy melts. Johnson's idea of mounting on the candy melt is very innovative!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Oct 2016 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 7

Using a candy melt is a good idea, however I have not had a problem with fondant (especially if some Tylose has been added) does not *melt*.  It may become somewhat soft but not melt into a gooy puddle.

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 6 Oct 2016 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 7

Hi! :)

if your toppers have had time to dry for a week, you shouldn't have a problem if you put them on the morning of delivery.  Please don't think I am rude asking this but why would you make them 2 days in advance? Even if I have multiple cake orders I wait until the morning of delivery (or as last minute as possible) to make cupcakes. If your toppers are already made, the cupcakes and icing part shouldn't take long at all and you just assemble the toppers as you put icing on them.  Cupcakes, most of the time, are not completely covered in icing, therefore will dry out quickly.  If you had 100 cupcakes, I might understand the advanced baking, but 3 dozen is not that many to bake, ice and assemble the day of.  Sorry I am definitely not trying to sound mean, i just want to help you.  Your reputation is at stake and you wouldn't want your customer to think your cakes are dry.  It's also easier to adhere toppers to sticky frosting and if your frosting has been on the cupcakes for a while, it will crust and the toppers won't stick without some help (edible glue, more frosting, etc) and when you try to put them on, the icing that has crusted will crack from the pressure of attaching the topper.  if the icing is still moist, then you won't have that cracking trouble.  

The chocolate glue sounds like a good idea if you have no choice but to make them in advance.  But if at all possible, since you have done most of the work with the toppers already, I would wait until Saturday morning to bake them.

Did you add tylose to your fondant for your toppers?  If so, they will not soften or melt.  I always add tylose to my cupcake topper fondant, but usually I am making toppers the night before and need them to dry quickly.  I am sure if they have had time to dry for a week, they should be hardened enough to not be affected so much by the buttercream.  Good luck to you!! :)  

Sorry..another question (I just re-read your post and noticed the Friday delivery)...did the customer request the cupcakes to be delivered on Friday?  If so, I would let them know that there is a possibility of them drying out, since they aren't covered in icing.  I ALWAYS tell them that I have to deliver them the same day of the event or I won't take the order.  I explain why and usually they are good with it.    I am not trying to add stress to you...it should be fun and not stressful...but I wouldn't want you to have to deal with any complaints after you did all this preparation and work.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%