Need Advice From Self Employed Bakers!

Business By kcampeau Updated 2 Oct 2016 , 3:50am by johnson6ofus

kcampeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcampeau Posted 1 Oct 2016 , 12:44am
post #1 of 3

So I am hesitating on taking the plunge into cakes full time. I am getting too busy doing cakes on the side for people I know and I now have strangers requesting cakes and yes, I know, I have done some illegal work but I want to go legit and am working on it!

I have my costs I think narrowed down and am applying for a commercial kitchen and all that jazz.

For self employed bakers who took the plunge, can you share your experience with me on how those first few years went? I am petrified of falling flat on my face with this and putting my family and our finances at risk but my husband supports me and I love doing cakes/cupcakes and really want to give this a go.

Any advice? Suggestions? Pep talks?

I am in Ontario Canada if that helps and thanks to anyone of you that replies!

2 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 1 Oct 2016 , 4:43am
post #2 of 3

I'm surely not telling you what to do and what not...so these are just some random thoughts. ..

If I would concider doing cakes full time, I first of all would need to be certain to make more money than with my current job!!! I find the cake business is very fragile and stressful. So, first of all, I would make a business plan making sure I have all my numbers etc in order. There are lots of additional costs. Second of all, I would have a good look at my future clientel. How many orders can I get, what type of orders (wedding, corporate etc or just kiddies parties) and thirdly I think one needs to be able to produce...meaning that one knows how to throw out cakes without struggling with their buttercream or stacking or or or. 

There are cake businesses doing very well and others closing down after just a year or two. Have a look at them in your area and find out the reasons. And ask yourself if you can compete with that and if you're willing to spend late nights and the weekends in the kitchen (most weddings f.e. are on Saturdays). 

And last but not least prepare yourself for a rough first year or so.

But like I said...These are just my personal thoughts and I'm curious to hear what other people have to say...

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Oct 2016 , 3:50am
post #3 of 3

I think the biggest thing is the "business" part of it not the producing the cakes part of it that throws people off. As a BUSINESS OWNER (in this new endeavor)  you will spend more time bidding, costing, administrative, paperwork etc. that is not fun for many, and often not what their sweet dreams of "my own personal bake shop" initially looked like. Someone has to handle the business BS, and that is tie NOT spent being very creative on cakes, know what I mean? Are you prepared for that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%