Vanilla Cake And Cupcakes

Baking By karmen.wong Updated 30 Sep 2016 , 4:10pm by karmen.wong

karmen.wong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmen.wong Posted 29 Sep 2016 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 3

Just curious, I bake from scratch at my shop  and I've been batteling with my vanilla cake ever since I opened. I've tried oil, butter different recipies, different methods. And what I've found is my fluffy moist cakes don't rise much - which is perfect for cakes because I don't have much waist, but for cupcakes they are a bit "ugly" - no dome and slightly gummy on top (which I think tastes great!) my question is how many scratch bakers have two different recipes for cakes and cupcakes and if you do have two, how do your approach it in consultations where a client wants to try vanilla  -do you let them sample both the cupcake and the cake? 

2 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 30 Sep 2016 , 9:57am
post #2 of 3

I do have different vanilla recipes for cake and cupcakes. Both are with butter and buttermilk. If someone is ordering a wedding cake I'd do the cake one and for a huge number of cupcakes the other  (honestly wouldn't do cupcake tasting for less than 10 dozen cupcakes or so unless they pay for it).

karmen.wong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmen.wong Posted 30 Sep 2016 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 3

This is great! I just find it so odd to have one recipe that does not rise for my cakes... so moist and delicious.. and then have a recipe that rises to get a dome that just tastes so so in my opinion. This topic has been the biggest struggle of opening up the shop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%